Radar

Highlights, that is where you just have to fine tune your Radar using the Sea Clutter and Gain. Try it on a day when the visibility is good. If the swell is too big you will have to tune it out too much and not recieve enough info, its a good idea to do it on a day with visibility and traffic so you get a better idea of what your picking up and to get a better idea of the best settings and limits for your radar.

Thanks guys! I have used the radar for a long time.I have used all the settings to adjust gain. I feel very confindent running for hours in pea soup off shore. It's just one thing that has always bugged me. The only thing I have come to learn though are the nuances that destinguish the solid objects amongst the waves. The clutter comes and goes consistenly while a boat for example will continually reappear in the same area. Guess there is no secret other than hard won experience with your own particular gear.

Appreciate the feed back on the clutter. Glad to know you all have to deal with it as well.

HL

Thanks for all the imput and help guys. This gives me an idea where to start.

btw
I think charlie is a retired school teacher. A wealth of knowledge or what...;)
HL I can only hope I can get my new baby as clean as yours. When I look at yours I need my shades on so I do not go blind [8D]
you said your radar is a battery hog, am I going to have a problem having a kicker that does not have a charging system?????

cheers

striper1.jpg

She's a thing of beauty if I may say so myself LOL. Thanks for the comment. I love it flashy and clean! I know you'll love yours too.

Get a charging unit on your kicker. Although that often is not enough. You accasionally need to fire up the main especially if you are doing over nighters. Just do your best and be aware that you need to keep an eye on your batteries.

Any other suggestions?.....Charlie? Do I need to get a third battery?

First, just to let you guys know... I thought about a Striper! :)

I wouldn’t install a third, unless you really have a reason? I have three. One dedicated to my port engine and a bank of two on my starboard, which is also my “house”. They run off two isolated and separate battery switches, which I can combine if needed. When I go on any trips, I watch them close. If I don't do anything, after two nights – end of the third day, the house won't have enough charge to do much of anything. The more you use = the longer it takes to recharge and two batteries take twice as long to charge than one! It took me a couple of trips to figure out how to get and keep enough charge - to keep the house bank up enough to start the starboard engine.

Back