radar wiring?

donovan

Just wondering if its possible to shorten the length of wiring from the head unit to the dome? The unit is a Furuno 1623. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Don

That really not something that you want to do unless you are an electronics guy The cable has 10 conductors and all of them are paired then shielded as well as the main being shielded I had a pin let go and ended up buying a new 5 m cable Just tuck the extra somewhere

I'm with gon fishing on this one---not a good idea to shorten radar cable. If you did cut, it would be tough re-connecting the pin plug that inserts into the radome---maybe call Furuno in Camas---they have tech guys who can give you the full scoop 360-834 9300

I also have a Furuno 1623---came with a 10 M cable; I only needed about 5 feet of the approx. 30 feet ---- you probably also know that you shouldn't coil radar cable in a tight coil as that can cause interference. So.......I ran it three times around the inside gutter of my wheelhouse roof to minimize the coil size.

Gives me a nice clean picture---they're nice units!

I was faced with the same questions with the same unit. I went to Victoria Marine Electric (local Furuno dealer) who said don't cut it shorter or you may have problems unless you pay someone to do it professionally for you. So to save some $ I ended up coiling it up underneath my boats hardtop and it works fine.

FROM FURUNO WEBSITE:
Shortening radar cable

Published 08/08/2002 04:29 AM | Updated 02/17/2010 09:48 AM

Can I cut my radar cable to length or should I coil it and store it?

No, it is not recommended to cut your radar cable. Find a place to hide and coil the excess. If there is no other way to hide the cable, it can be reduced in length but this should be done by an authorized Furuno USA dealer. If not performed correctly, cutting the cable could lead to corrosion and may result in voiding the warranty. Adjusting the cable length will also affect the timing of the radar. Please confirm that the timing is still correct if any changes are made to the cable length.

FROM FURUNO WEBSITE:
Shortening radar cable

Published 08/08/2002 04:29 AM | Updated 02/17/2010 09:48 AM

Can I cut my radar cable to length or should I coil it and store it?

No, it is not recommended to cut your radar cable. Find a place to hide and coil the excess. If there is no other way to hide the cable, it can be reduced in length but this should be done by an authorized Furuno USA dealer. If not performed correctly, cutting the cable could lead to corrosion and may result in voiding the warranty. Adjusting the cable length will also affect the timing of the radar. Please confirm that the timing is still correct if any changes are made to the cable length.

As has already been mentioned defintely a big NO....lol Radar is something that I use quite often at work for measuring level and all the things mentioned are correct. It works basically on a "Time of Flight" principle in simple terms. Not to say for sure shortening will effect the timing but why risk it? Cheers

Back