Radar Opinions

SpringVelocity

Crew Member
I am finally putting in radar in my boat next month. Looking at Simrad or Lowrance with the overlay. I already have a standalone Simrad s leaning that way. I am not in the market for a higher end 4-5k system. Just a simple 7 inch display with 3G radar.

Just wanted to hear some experiences. Haven't start pricing but will most liekly get it at HC.

HC is the place to buy. Best prices, service and knowledge on the island for the rec market. I have a 3G Lowrance and it works great for me. The overlay options makes reading and interpreting the radar much easier with your map underneath it than the older standalone units. If you go with Lowrance make sure you have a least a HDS Gen 2 unit or higher as you will need the newer/faster processing power.

I have a 7 inch hds gen3 with the 3g. It picks up almost anything above the waterline. I did spring the extra 200$ for the point 1 antenna for the overlay. It's an absolute must imho. Specially on the 7 inch since splitting the screen makes things pretty small on the screen.

Last edited:
That is great guys keep them coming. Basically all I am going to do is run my other Simrad GO7 as standalone with transducer ( I have one where you can't add radar which sucks a little), and have this one dedicated to radar and GPS. I dont really like the split screen thing on smaller display. Its down to which one Lowrance or Simrad right now.

If you don't wanna see birds it probably doesn't matter much. I have Furuno open array which I rarely use. Given their recent corporate philosophy with Navico they might all be the same anyway.

I've got a HDS10 and radar both 1st gen and they work great don't have the overlay but plan on getting one.

My first radar dome was a Simrad 4G new 2012, then had to replace it. Motherboard gave it up for no reason. Was told it happens. That was nice! And really how much does the unit get used? Was pe@ved!! Anyway, mid July 2017 supplied a Lowrance 4G. Same unit!
So from what I was told be prepared to replace either of them in 5 years or so. Not your typical consumable you’d think!! And yes go HC in Nanaimo. Talk to the boss Denise or Colin in electronics. Great knowledge and people to deal with. After sales as well!! Good luck!!

I’m very happy with my Garmin Doppler radar. Less radiation than a cellphone and the trails make it very intuitive for anyone to see what’s coming at you. I believe the 4G is similar as is Raymarine’s newer unit.

My first radar dome was a Simrad 4G new 2012, then had to replace it. Motherboard gave it up for no reason. Was told it happens. That was nice! And really how much does the unit get used? Was pe@ved!! Anyway, mid July 2017 supplied a Lowrance 4G. Same unit!
So from what I was told be prepared to replace either of them in 5 years or so. Not your typical consumable you’d think!! And yes go HC in Nanaimo. Talk to the boss Denise or Colin in electronics. Great knowledge and people to deal with. After sales as well!! Good luck!!
I have an older digital hd raymarine 8years old and the motherbord crap out on me cost was 1038$ to replace, the teck told me to shut the radar off before starting my outboard as the surge in power is probably what did it in, he also told me to run it every time i use the boat for 1/2 hr or so, as they dont like sitting not moving for long periods

Might be worth waiting for Harbour Chandlers black friday or boxing day sale. I picked mine up from HC for a good price boxing day. If you are thinking of getting Autopilot buy it at the same time as it looks like the Point 1 antenna does not work for navigation like the AutoPilot Antenna, but they both do the overlay.

Forgot to mention that you may also need to get a compass/heading sensor if you want to overlay your radar accurately on your map display. They can explain it all to you at HC. They know there stuff there.

I use the old JRC radar with the stand alone black and white lcd screen that came with the boat. Low res but it does the job in the frequent Sooke fog. On a glass day it will pick up a bird thats reasonably close sitting on the water. When we come out of the harbour you can pick out the navigation bouys and see over the end of the spit with it for incoming boats and then count all the boats fishing in the various spots while coming out of the inlet and decide where to fish. If the chart plotter screen ever goes down I know what all the local shore lines look like from various angles on the radar and could navigate with it in a pinch. That's an advantage to having a stand alone radar screen.

Last edited:
I use the old JRC radar with the stand alone black and white lcd screen that came with the boat. Low res but it does the job in the frequent Sooke fog. On a glass day it will pick up a bird thats reasonably close sitting on the water. When we come out of the harbour you can pick out the navigation bouys and see over the end of the spit with it for incoming boats and then count all the boats fishing in the various spots while coming out of the inlet and decide where to fish. If the chart plotter screen ever goes down I know what all the local shore lines look like from various angles on the radar and could navigate with it in a pinch. That's an advantage to having a stand alone radar screen.

That is what I was thinking.... For backup also.

Yes, me too

Back