Radar mount

I have recovered from the mad scramble trying to get my Sangster project into the water in time for a late August Winter Harbour trip. I still have lots to do on this project including mounting the 3g radar dome and making up a swim grid for the transom. I would like to make up a radar mast that includes a mount for the all round light and hopefully for the horn as well. I have equipment to weld and fabricate aluminum so that will be the material of choice. Looking for some pics or advice while I am still in the design phase of this project.
Likewise looking for ideas for a swim grid and ladder to hang off the transom. I am thinking of putting my anchor, chain and rode in a box on the transom to help offset the weight of the kicker. I have a Trotac anchor set up and it seems like the stern would be a more convenient location rather than filling up the cuddy. Again any pics or ideas would be welcome.
Alan

Attachments

• Winter Harbour 2012 020 (640x480).jpg
    Winter Harbour 2012 020 (640x480).jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 145
The 3G radar units don't have to be mounted up high like the magnatron units do -- i.e. they don't cook your brain. You could simply mount all that stuff on your hardtop.

Good advice tenmile, My buddy just did that with his Trophy hardtop he just used a couple wedges in the back so it sits flat when on a plane.

Good advice tenmile, My buddy just did that with his Trophy hardtop he just used a couple wedges in the back so it sits flat when on a plane.

The new units also don't need the 2 degree tilt that the older technology needed. You just mount it level as the boat sits in the water and your good to go.

Here are some pictures of the one I built for my gal alanf FWIW. Might give you some idea's.

IMG_1911.jpg

IMG_1914.jpg

IMG_1915.jpg

Cheers,
John

I think I can put the radar mount on the hardtop... seems to be sturdy enough and the dome is not all that heavy. John, is there any issue with having your allround light mast that close to the dome?
Alan

Back