Radar licence required??

Striker

Hello, I just installed a radar in my boat and read in the instructions that a radar license may be required. Can't find any info on this.

Does anyone have their radar licensed?

Thanks

No license required, but it might be a good a good thing to take a Radar course from the Power Squadron if you have never used one before.

Ok, power squadron course is on my list.
Just found my answer at Industry Canada.
License is not required.

I took the course and thought it was good, it teaches you how to really get the most out of your unit. And in my opinion is why you bought it in the first place. I'm thinking of getting a rate compass for mine to over lay the Radar on my plotter.

Couple of pics of the radar screen

So far I'm quite impressed with the images. These screen shots were taken at Ambleside where there were quite a few boats fishing today. The target directly ahead of me is shown in the third pic.
Btw, radar is a Raymarine RD424HD Digital Dome.

What does having the rate compass do to improve the image?

Attachments

• 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 379
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 378
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 373
Last edited by a moderator:
good idea to practise during good weather, because when you get socked in its hard to sense distance. Use it as much as you can during clear weather. I've had to use mine plenty on the west coast and found it a life saver. Some days out of Nootka you wouldn't get out without radar and overlaying your GPS.

A rate compass will overlay that Radar image over your GPS/plotter image.

Pescador's advice about practicing in good visibility is key. Get used to distances off of major features in your area and remember them. Learn how to use your radar's features like VRM, EBL, and or parallel index lines. Read up on the difference between true and relative vectors if using trails or plotting other vessels. You want to get to the point where using your radar becomes second nature. Trying to figure out what you're looking at once already in the fog is a tactical error.

Back