R3EF Mooching Rods?

CowichanColt

I noticed Island Outfitters have some of their mooching rods in stock. Ive heard lots about the reels but not a lot about the rods.

Has anyone tried them out? Looking for some feedback as they seem decently priced for the rod.

I noticed Island Outfitters have some of their mooching rods in stock. Ive heard lots about the reels but not a lot about the rods.

Has anyone tried them out? Looking for some feedback as they seem decently priced for the rod.
I've used the 9' and 10'6. Seemed pretty good. We had a accident and broke the tip on the 10'6 and they replaced buddies rod with no issues. Reasonable prices

I bought the 10'6" earlier this year. I like it so much I didn't let my buddies touch it, even when 'fish on'. Good action, butt end comes out of the holder nicely and I didn't break it. These are just my standards for a good rod.
I would buy another one.

I had 9ft Shimao Toleras I bought used with some Shimano GT 4000 reels. This was a nice setup when I had a smaller boat.

I was going to buy new rods that were better and couldn't decide between 9ft and 10'6. I was recently able to get 2 customs rods made I also upgraded to a used set of Trophy Tyee XL reels.

I find the 10'6 rods work just fine in my 18ft aluminum.

P.S. Best part of going custom was I had the rods designed for the way I fish. I even had the reel seat set to for my stance/hand placement/height. It was like getting measured for a suit.

Last edited:
I just bought 4 try them out for a bit then order some more before they change them if they work out

Make sure their reel seat fits your reel. The latest batch may have some issues.
I just bought 4 try them out for a bit then order some more before they change them if they work out
Do your reels snug up in the reel seat ok?

Looks like carbon fibre. Hard and slippery. Fast out of the rod holder but watch your grip.
I've never liked the idea of carbon fiber. With proper technique the rod doesn't stick. When I'm loading up the rod when I'm down deep I prefer a little bit of stickyness there.

Anyone use these yet ? Looking for some reviews and how they would be for mooching with!

Have used the 10’6” for 2 seasons the carbon portion seems to have come loose and spins which is a little annoying they’re nice on the downrigger other than the issue with the bottom piece I’m happy. I also have a Trophy QR which is carbon on the bottom and a high density foam grip didn’t think I’d like the foam but I actually prefer it now. Have used techniums, Titans various fenwick etc most of the rods you’ll find and like the QR the most in that price point.

Back