R3EF MOOCHING REELS?

here's what you really need...

here's what you really need...

Don't think so.

No matter what reel you get make sure that you can parts for it. There are a lot of reels that parts are not available for and I can not source parts for no matter how much/ little you paid. Another option is the Coast reel. Its also made on the island like islanders and I have been able to get parts when/ if needed.

Trophy XL's are extremely good value. My buddy fishes them 80-100 days a year for the last 5-6 years and have held up very well, will a little bit of maintenance.

Trophy XL's are extremely good value. My buddy fishes them 80-100 days a year for the last 5-6 years and have held up very well, will a little bit of maintenance.

Yeah I have had mine for years. I think Wolf said he got 8 years on one of his reels, and still going. These reels are from same designer of Trophy.

One thing they have other other is the free spool which I prefer.

I got a Trophy a year ago after using and liking them on charters. I like the free spool option as well, perfect for old school stuff like mooching live herring or bucktailing.

In the downrigger it doesn't line creep like my MR3. As much as I respect Islander for their leadership, I think I'll get a second Trophy XL and sell the MR3. That will pay for the new reel and.leave a good chunk of change.

I have a trophy. Didn’t like it at first until I took it apart and put some oil on the drag like your are supposed to an islander. Also had a handle break but for the 289 plus tax I paid for it I’m fairly satisfied. Now that I had the handles replaced with islander handles it’s like having a mr2la for less than half the price. But I’m also wondering about the reef reels. If I was buying a new reel right now I’d buy another trophy and replace the handles with islander ones

I really like my x5’s. I had tons of creep on the mr3’s and they have cork drags which were worse in the wet. The Trophy was pretty smooth and quiet. The sound of the Amundsens gets the heart racing on a good pull

I had a pink one on the boat all season this year, , it was a gift for the ol lady... It is a great reel.The drag is superior to the Islander and Trophy, I didn't have to deal with reel creep on it. She hammered some decent hogs with it.

Back