Putting rubber handles on an MR3

ok after a bit of thought

you need a longer matching slotted screw and a stand off spacer/ cut to size small tube ....

job done
Here's what you need to do. Go to Ace Hardware (Home Depot does not have the needed parts) and for EACH handle, get the following: one 1/4 inch and one 3/8 inch #4-40 stainless steel flat head screw, one #4 nylon bushing (might want to get extra for drops & mis-cuts). You will need both screws because the Islander posts are not all tapped to the same depth. You can do a test by screwing in the 3/8 inch screw without the handle. If it goes all the way in, you should use the 3/8 inch. Put the bushing on ends in a vise and using a thin kerf saw like a coping saw, cut a 2 mm section as flat as humanly possible. Put the cut bushing section into the BOTTOM of the Shimano handle and secure handle to the Islander post using the appropriate screw. There should be a little play on the handle as you pull it up off the base and it should spin freely. If you are happy with the fit, take screw out and reattach with a little Loctite on the threads. Good luck.IMG_0007.jpgIMG_0008.jpg

If you are not particularly dexterous, you can cut a piece of yellow surgical tubing (1/16 inch wall thickness) slightly shorter than the Islander handle and slip it on. It won't feel as nice as a Shimano paddle, but it'll at least give you a little softer and less slippery grip.

Tailwalker
many thanks for your post and pic's
that's the version of your setup that i was going to go with
well at least you can prove it works.

Thanks for the info. I'll spend some time poking around with the paddle style knobs and let u know what I find out.

Thanks for all the ideas.
If you are looking for the older Shimano Moocher Plus rubber paddles, you can call Shimano in California and order them from their parts department, it would be part # MCR0058. They're about $1.80 each.

Tailwalker
many thanks for your post and pic's
that's the version of your setup that i was going to go with
well at least you can prove it works.

Just tried to put the paddles on my second Islander and confirmed that the Islander posts are tapped to different depths. What that means is that you might need a 1/2 inch #4-40 flat head screw to hold the paddle securely but not bind it thus allowing it to spin freely. If you refer to my diagram, you'll see that for the first generation Shimano paddles (MCR0058), space B is longer than the Islander post with the screw completely seated. So a 1/2 inch #4-40 screw would work better, otherwise, the knob will unwind when you reel in and thus fall off! If there is too much vertical play using the 1/2 inch screw, you can put one or two #4 nylon washers in space A. Depending on how much longer space B is compared to the Islander post, you might need to cut a bigger spacer from the #4 bushing (probably about 4 mm). Still should use Loctite. FullSizeRender.jpg

Much too complicated-- I am just going to email Islander and complain... might work... or not. Also if a bunch of you let them know how you feel about the handles, then something might change.

what is needed is a stepped spacer

1/4"//6mm dia alloy or plastic rod stock

using a small lathe turn down 2mm to 5mm in dia
drill 1/8th a centre hole for the 4-40 screw to pass through

cut and face off so the spacer is 1/4 " in length

handle's will not bind and spin freely

i will see about getting some spacers to try do the trick

Much too complicated-- I am just going to email Islander and complain... might work... or not. Also if a bunch of you let them know how you feel about the handles, then something might change.

I called Islander and asked about the paddle handles and they wanted $18 for the set! The conversion is really not that complicated.....

Don't quote me, but I think they are close to that price for each paddle, not the set.

The paddles are $1.70 each plus shipping ($7)from Shimano. I know the Calif Shimano has 5 left. So for the price of ONE Islander OEM handle, you can convert 4 handles to Shimano handles. PM me if you have questions as to how I did it.

I called Islander and asked about the paddle handles and they wanted $18 for the set! The conversion is really not that complicated.....

For CNC machined delrin?.... with machined posts etc... Made in Canada ? Yep price is in line.... Yes they are 15-18 each and I love mine. The cost to program and set up for machining plus markup in tackle shops goes into the price..No ones going to make custom parts in Canada for 5.00.... Don't know why your surprised?

For those of you doing the less expensive modification, here is yet another option. If you think the Shimano Moocher Plus handles (MCR0058) are too large, you can try the smaller MCR0062. With the latter, you will have to drill out the shaft to fit the Islander post. If you have a drill press, clamp the handle bottom side up vertically to a piece of wood and drill first with 3/16 bit, followed by 13/64. The handle should then fit the islander post and all you will have to do is to secure it with a 3/8 inch #4-40 stainless steel screw. No nylon spacer needed! MCR0062 is $2.25 + 3/8 #4-40 SS screw $0.17 = $2.42 vs. $18, both not including shipping. A little work, but I just love beating the manufacturer at their game.IMG_0015.jpgIMG_0017.jpg

ok folks
just got my handles and
there different again but without any drilling
just needed to add a plastic sleeve shim to the bottom half of the post
as the inside bore of the paddle has a slight taper
and just used a No4 SS washer even used the original islander screw
takes 5 min's to change over
so i have 6
keeping 4 as to do my own reel's and one for spares (just in case)

$20 for a kit ( 2 paddles ss screws washer's shims )+ shipping depending on location
as stated only got enough for 6 reels up for grabs
pm me please if interested.

there hard like the delrin ones
not the softer rubber mooching ones
which need to have a stepped spacer and much longer locking screw
so as not to misled

Last edited by a moderator:
Back