Putting rubber handles on an MR3

Dbastock

Hey everybody, first time posting here. Got a nice blue Islander MR3 for XMAS but I've always found my big mitts don't fit those little knobs well. Any suggestions on swapping etc? I've heard rumors about guys having put on the rubber flat handles off the newer shimano 2000's. That's kinda what I prefer but not sure on fitment and look?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions etc..

Dave

If you own an islander get a handle upgrade kit comes with handles post etc..... They are delrin handles paddle handles I have them on my trophies... You can buy them cheaper if you call islander directly...

Last edited by a moderator:
I put the Islander flat/scalloped handles on my MR3 to keep it 'stock' they are definately better than the round ones, but not a nice as the the shimano GT2000/4000 moocher reel handles which are the best IMO. You need to call Islander reel to order the flat handles.

I put the Islander flat/scalloped handles on my MR3 to keep it 'stock' they are definately better than the round ones, but not a nice as the the shimano GT2000/4000 moocher reel handles which are the best IMO. You need to call Islander reel to order the flat handles.

Are they rubberized at all, or is it that Delrin hard slippery stuff...?

may have to fab or machine up a post to suit
but most small engineering outlets could do it
or if you have your own small lathe
tap and die set nice little project.

ok..... well here is the info
yes the paddle does fit on to the post but using the small islander set screw locks up the islander post
its really not long tall enough

so what would need to be done is a new extended machined set screw which would allow the post to be longer
and to be tightened so not to pinch the paddle handle
it would have a stepped shoulder so as to increase the height of the post
if you get my drift
and that way your keeping the original islander post in place

one other thing shimano post are left hand thread
turn right/ clockwise to take off
islander are lefty /lucy loose

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info. I'll spend some time poking around with the paddle style knobs and let u know what I find out.

Thanks for all the ideas.

Don't know what they are as they were on a used MR3 that I purchased. But they seem to be high quality, installed correctly and sized matched correctly to the reel and I like using them. I have seen some that were so large on an MR3 that they looked ridiculous and probably did not work all that well either. The stock ones are for comparison.

Anyone know who makes/sells these ones?

Attachments

• 363.jpg
    363.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 395
  • 368.jpg
    368.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 396
I had the same issue with my MR2's. I believe all one has to do is to get a matching screw. The OEM Islander screw is too short to accommodate the Shimano knob and the Shimano screw is of the wrong thread count. Go to the nearest marine store to find a longer stainless steel screw with the correct thread count.

ok after a bit of thought

you need a longer matching slotted screw and a stand off spacer/ cut to size small tube ....

job done

ImageProxy.mvc.jpg
look at what i have coming

will adapt to go on the islanders
will let you know how i get on with doing the mod

I'm assuming the idea is to just use the knobs off that reel shaft... Not the whole thing ;)

Let me know how it goes

I first replaced my original MR2 handles with larger MR3 handles. That was a little better, but not great . When Scotty came out with the hard paddles, I switched over to them..But having old-age-itis in my hands, it was not comfortable. I finally put the reel in the cupboard and now use my GT4000 reels instead (with no creep too----- ) I hope Scotty smartens up and gives us what we want.. not what they are prepared to sell.

I first replaced my original MR2 handles with larger MR3 handles. That was a little better, but not great . When Scotty came out with the hard paddles, I switched over to them..But having old-age-itis in my hands, it was not comfortable. I finally put the reel in the cupboard and now use my GT4000 reels instead (with no creep too----- ) I hope Scotty smartens up and gives us what we want.. not what they are prepared to sell.

Leave Scotty out of this. :p

I want to see him use the whole thing......

thanks Owen ....lol

nope just the rubber handle bits
found a lot of 10 on ebay for the right money so will now just source a longer screw and stepped spacer to do the conversion
still using the MR3 std post

Back