Protest the ENGO's request to close salmon fishing

Will you come?

• Total voters
I would disagree with your statement. We had very strong representation by the Sport Fishing Institute and the Sport Fishing Advisory Board on the consultation during the process that DFO went through. The truth of the matter is it DFO chose to ignore their recommendations and numerous individual written input that was sent by sport fisherman on this forum and throughout this province. The way DFO went about this the reduction in the possession limit of Chinook salmon from 30 down to 10, wasn't even mentioned in the consultation process shpws the decision was probably already made!

The question that you have to ask yourself before you complain about how sport fisherman were represented at the negotiation table:

"Is did you go to your local SFAB meeting this year? Did you buy a membership in the Sport Fishing Institute? Did you provide written input to DFO during the consultation process? Did you write the Fisheries Minister? Did you call or write your local MP?

I was unable to attend the local meeting of the SFAB in my area due to other commitments. I did write a letter to the DFO expressing my concerns, which wasn't based on how it affected me personally, I chose to address how it affects Vancouver Island as a whole, how declining industry on Vancouver Island has been transforming the island has been shifting tourism and hospitality as our main industry and how cuts and closures only serve to inhibit growth in this area, particularly the sport fishing tourism industry. I also wrote my local MP, with the same concerns, but as my local MP is NDP, I don't feel his voice is a strong one at this time. I never heard back form either party regarding my concerns. As far as the reduction of total catch and retain dropping from 30 to 10, I did not address that, as first of all, that didn't seem to be on the table, but secondly, my own personal thoughts have been for a while that the 30 retention needed to be reduced. I have no personal disputes with drop from 30 to 10, given the fact that there are still opportunities for retention of other salmon species, and also, I know how many salmon my household consumes over the course of a year. Given the fact that there are three adults in my household, I know we don't consume 30 chinook on any given year. I don't think I have ever had more than 10 chinook in my freezer at any given time. I can live quite easily with that decision. I did not write the fisheries minister, I don't think he personally reads his correspondence.

I would disagree with your statement. We had very strong representation by the Sport Fishing Institute and the Sport Fishing Advisory Board on the consultation during the process that DFO went through. The truth of the matter is it DFO chose to ignore their recommendations and numerous individual written input that was sent by sport fisherman on this forum and throughout this province. The way DFO went about this the reduction in the possession limit of Chinook salmon from 30 down to 10, wasn't even mentioned in the consultation process shpws the decision was probably already made!

The question that you have to ask yourself before you complain about how sport fisherman were represented at the negotiation table:

"Is did you go to your local SFAB meeting this year? Did you buy a membership in the Sport Fishing Institute? Did you provide written input to DFO during the consultation process? Did you write the Fisheries Minister? Did you call or write your local MP?

To be fair we’ve been told SFAB provides recommendations and is not a lobby group. If DFO is using an argument that unless all 300k public fishers are present ,the SFAB advice is not relevant or diminished , they better reread the terms of reference they gave the Reps. Agree 100% in joining the SFI, as I understand it they can lobby? My big concern is that DFO has made up its mind on these issues and are simply using meetings to pretend they are soliciting advice. It’s got to be frustrating for SFAB members.

Byron Horner of the Conservative Party running in Courtenay - Alberni against the NDP incumbent is strongly PRO REC fishing. He has posted several interviews on his Facebook page. Check it out !

Last edited:
Back