Prop wash for coho - spoon, buc

OldCrow

planning on running a surface line in the prop wash with 4 ounce slider (in the Gulf islands). What do think would be more productive lure - bucktail, Tubby Tomic or spoon? I like the bucktail for nostalgic reasons but think the spoon might be best. Thoughts?

planning on running a surface line in the prop wash with 4 ounce slider (in the Gulf islands). What do think would be more productive lure - bucktail, Tubby Tomic or spoon? I like the bucktail for nostalgic reasons but think the spoon might be best. Thoughts?
Yes. ;)
In my experience, when they're behind the boat at the surface, they'll hit anything that moves.

Last sockeye season I caught plenty on pink squirts as I was resetting my gear.

Off Sooke I've been having good success with just a white bucktail on a sink 6 flyline 30' behind the boat. If that isn't working I add a couple ounces of weight. I've also done well using a trolling spoon (Wee G with 2 oz's)

Hanging a flasher straight out the back as an attracter with the flies out either side of it seems to increase hits. I've had several double headers.

Keep the speed up and do circles around the down rigger guys as you watch for feeding salmon on the surface. If you see the you WILL get them.

Run a bucktail 4-5 small beads then a silver spinner blade on a clevis on 4 ft of 40 lb mono to swivel then to leader. If you’re using a fly rod it doesn’t really matter what line you use as you only let out enough line to be in the prop wash. If the coho are shallow and especially if the waters clear you will do well ,likely out fishing any gear and it’s so simple. If the water is cloudy I think it helps to run a dummy flasher just below the surface just beyond the prop wash. Favorite color is chartreuse over white alternate colors purple over white, pink over white, gray ghost. One year we killed them on fuscia over white when they were feeding on krill. I’ve also found if you have a hit and it doesn’t stick quickly strip out 2-3 pulls of line and the fish will hit it for keeps. Nothing beats seeing that bow wave coming before they smash your fly.

A fly line isn't necessary but comes in handy when when you spot a school of fish aggressively feeding on the surface. Instead of trolling right through them, pass them and flip your fly into them and strip.
I'm going to try the spinner thing and just for an experiment try a spin and glow in front to see if it's turbulence triggers fish.

Pardon my prairie boy ignorance but just how far back in the prop wash do you generally run your lure? I'm doing my 1st BC salmon thing in a couple weeks and I'm all ears!

Cheers

15 to 20 ft back just at the tail end or just into the turbulence created by the prop. Definitely agree on using a flyline. I often use my 500 grain sink tip which does double duty casting for lings and black bombers around rock piles and kelp beds. Clear intermediate line casting for cruisers.

I like a bucktail with a pearlescent spinnerblade or, a little further back, an unweighted croc. They have enough weight to get below the surface and not spin crazily at coho speeds.

No takers on the tubby tomics?

I think they would "dig" to much. Probably work better a slower speeds. I think part of the beauty of fast bucktails is the fish don't really have time to look at them, it triggers them, and when the commit, they really go for it!

If going specifically only for fall coho (i.e. spawner/migrating fish not summer fish that are feeding) I'll run 2 rods with bucktails with an abalone spinner in front and a 1/4 to 1/2 ounce weight on a 3-4 foot leader to keep it from popping out of the water. Varying the distances behind the boat till you see whats working. Purple/chartreuse has always been a good colour combo for me.

Then 2 down rigger rods with spoons either behind a flasher, or (better) with a dummy flasher. Run one side down 10-15 feet so your flasher is rotating just below the surface, to help attract fish up to the bucktails, and the other side down around 30 or so.

I find the fall fish sometimes respond to weird color patterns like orange/black etc to trigger a reaction strike, and not just always your typical bait fish or krill imitations.

For actively feeding coho, I don't think anybody needs to overthink things. Put any reasonable presentation at whatever depth they are working at and you'll hook up.

what speed do you recommend for this coho action?

I've always wanted to try this but hated wasting time fishing incorrectly. I'm probably overthinking this but are you talking about the lure being 15-30 feet back or where the line enters the water?

What Birdman said and switch up the colours as a sunny or cloudy day can make all the difference in fly colour. I usual go with a 15lb leader as you will get better action on the fly.. I also like to drag a spinner on top as coho like lots of action. Play around with different set-ups !!

Back