Project Ocean Smasher

Congrats on your purchase. Those hulls have been for sale for a long time, I think he had 3 at one point. I also have an Ocean Master been chartering it out of Port Renfrew for 9 years,the ride on that hull is unbelievable it comes off the top off a swell soft and just eats chop also with the 16 degree deadrise very stable on the drift. If u want to come on out to Renfrew I would be glad to take ya for a spin and have a good chat
U can check out some pix of my Ocean Master @ choicecharters.ca

Looking forward to this project. Gonna be great! I believe that particular hull has some history. Owned at one time by the US military and spend time in the Indian Ocean. Tough hulls, pretty sure they have a bit of Kevlar in the layup.

As for the diesel power, you're probably going to need 450+hp in single straight inboard configuration to see the performance you're looking for. Cummins 6.7QSB in 480hp trim comes to mind, they're light and exceptional on fuel. A B series cummins isn't likely going to cut it in the HP department.

I'm a big fan of single straight inboard diesels and own a diesel boat myself. But if it's pure economics that you are after, I would encourage you to do the math on the actual savings of building this thing in diesel inboard vs twin outboard. With twin 300 4s outboards, you'll probably only burn 5-7 gals an hour more than the diesel and gas is often cheaper than diesel at the marina these days. When you add up the cost of Diesel engine, drivetrain, additional rigging requirements, fibreglass work etc. to get her rigged, and the TIME and comepare it the cost of a pair of 300's and the extra fuel burned, it might be a wash. But either way, it's gonna be one hell of a project!

Keep us up to date!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking forward to this project. Gonna be great! I believe that particular hull has some history. Owned at one time by the US military and spend time in the Indian Ocean. Tough hulls, pretty sure they have a bit of Kevlar in the layup.

As for the diesel power, you're probably going to need 450+hp in single straight inboard configuration to see the performance you're looking for. Cummins 6.7QSB in 480hp trim comes to mind, they're light and exceptional on fuel. A B series cummins isn't likely going to cut it in the HP department.

I'm a big fan of single straight inboard diesels and own a diesel boat myself. But if it's pure economics that you are after, I would encourage you to do the math on the actual savings of building this thing in diesel inboard vs twin outboard. With twin 300 4s outboards, you'll probably only burn 5-7 gals an hour more than the diesel and gas is often cheaper than diesel at the marina these days. When you add up the cost of Diesel engine, drivetrain, additional rigging requirements, fibreglass work etc. to get her rigged, and the TIME and comepare it the cost of a pair of 300's and the extra fuel burned, it might be a wash. But either way, it's gonna be one hell of a project!

Keep us up to date!

I agree, the little B series isnt going to live long working as hard as your going to need it to work and at that power level you want it will be a little smoky.
The economics of a pair of OBs does hold water (pun intended) by the time you factor in all the associated costs of rigging but that will really depend on where and how it will be used.
After spending a week on a smelly crud burner the twin OB gets my vote.

Thanks for all the great comments guys! Both my brother and I want to build a boat for the next 20 years so we will do what it takes to do it right. These hulls were indeed purchased by the navy and sent to Diego Garcia on in the Indian ocean where the navy used them as r&r charter boats. Apparently they have over 500,000 miles on the each of the two that came back. So this boat has seen a lot in its life. The hulls were laid up in 1996 so they are just turning 20 this year. Overall I was pretty impressed with the condition after that much hard use. The gel coat on the back deck is pretty much worn off.....which really doesn't matter to us because the whole deck is coming out.

As for power I would assume this would be a 1 mpg boat with twin 250s or 300's. I know because that is what my dad's 3370 pursuits fuel burn is. Also this hull is not that great for hanging 1400# of four strokes off of. If we were to do twin ob's it would get a pod which would add 3 feet to the hull and then 5 more feet for the ob's trimmed up. That 7-8' adds another 1500$/yr to our moorage. If I do single shaft drive inboard we stay at 31' where we are now. Not to mention now having to deal with ob's hanging off the stern. We want our everyday cost of ownership down so we can use the boat more. We want to do brand new power in this so i think the cost between 2 Large ob's vs a large single diesel could be comparable.

Oceanmaster I would really like to check out your boat it's a nice rig. What are your real world fuel burn numbers on your rig?

Anyways at this point we are still in the deep planning stages. We still have to 3D model the hull and figure out our cabin arrangements. Lots of work to do.

It's never ends.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you guys have a lot of thought into the project already. Cummins has a really good reman program that could save you some bucks and still give you warranty (I think their reman engines come with 2000hr warranty for pleasure use).

Cheers

diesel, and hi horsepower diesel if going single.... would be my preference on that hull...

Mikep
Have you givin any thought to a twin diesel midship install? Less strain on the drive train, better for that long off shore run plus I would think a better balance. As for twin diesel fuel burn, You should call CodFather Charters up in Port Hardy, a few years ago he bought my Bertram 31 and repowered with diesels. He could give you an exact GPH.

The new diesels run much cleaner and quieter than older ones. For trolling we will unfortunately have to install a 15-25HP outboard on the transom which will slightly take away from the overall look.....Oh well you cant really cutplug on a kelp bed with a 500 HP diesel...

Nice thing about the 15-25 though is that you can run it as a generator on the hook and hardly hear it. Nice to have quiet power for batteries and modest accessory use as well as slow trolling ability.
This project looks like it's going to have many headaches, and a huge reward. Good luck!

The new diesels run much cleaner and quieter than older ones. For trolling we will unfortunately have to install a 15-25HP outboard on the transom which will slightly take away from the overall look.....Oh well you cant really cutplug on a kelp bed with a 500 HP diesel...

Electronic trolling valve would get it done.

Yeah I have thought about the trolling valve so that certainly is a possibility. I guess it comes down to wanting a second engine of the single main goes down a 25HP would be nice as you could limp home. I need to figure out the stringer separation to see if I could even fit twins. As for power generation we have that covered with a 5KW genset just waiting for a boat to be dropped into. decisions decisions.....

Ocean master rigged a few with twin straight inboards I believe. Although they may have re-arranged the stringer configuration in mid-ship.

It's so easy for us to spend your money. Might as well put a PTO to run hydraulics for your pot puller, bow thruster and tuna pullers. A seawater ice machine would be sweet too.

Back