Processing / Transportation Question

Licensed processors don't just cut and package fish, they certify your catch was legal when brought to them. That's part of their pricing.

I've done it both ways, used licensed processors in Ukee and Haida Gwaii, done it ourselves in Renfrew and WH. We've settled on fileting and icing the sides of salmon, then transporting them back to the Okanagan on fresh ice for cutting and vacuum sealing. Our preference is to pack them in 1 lb-ish portions before freezing.

What we did last year was cut the fish in pieces (3 to 4 pieces) cutting through bone but leaving some skin attached and freeze it. Leaves the whole fish together with tail. Put some wax paper between the cuts so they don’t stick together when freezing. When we got home final cut through skin and vacuum seal it. Some of our family like the pieces to cook without filleting some like it fillet so once the piece is defrosted I fillet it and cook. Works out well for us as we all cook it a little differently.

Curious, has anyone ever been checked? Would be interesting to know how the CO's respond to these different methods. My sense is if they see you've made a concretive effort to to keep the fish whole as outlined in the regs, they will be ok with it.

Curious, has anyone ever been checked? Would be interesting to know how the CO's respond to these different methods. My sense is if they see you've made a concretive effort to to keep the fish whole as outlined in the regs, they will be ok with it.

The thing I take most issue with is the transporting of fish for others. We’ve got a couple guys in our group that are starting to find it difficult to do the 19 Hour jaunt to WH. They’d like to fly into Comox and get picked up and dropped off by the guys driving. Under current regs (if I’m reading right), I can’t bring their fish back in our group coolers even if I have their license in my possession and a signed note from them. I’ve transported big game in AB a lot for others (with full documentation of course), I just don’t really understand the rationale behind the fish transport.

The thing I take most issue with is the transporting of fish for others. We’ve got a couple guys in our group that are starting to find it difficult to do the 19 Hour jaunt to WH. They’d like to fly into Comox and get picked up and dropped off by the guys driving. Under current regs (if I’m reading right), I can’t bring their fish back in our group coolers even if I have their license in my possession and a signed note from them. I’ve transported big game in AB a lot for others (with full documentation of course), I just don’t really understand the rationale behind the fish transport.

You used to be able to transport with a letter and there was a template as to what had to be included on the DFO website. I am taking a guess it was being abused and the idea of a letter was given the gas.

I do understand it as in the scenario you are describing guys could stay in WH and keep fishing possession limits but it states your possession limit is all your are allowed until you return to you place of residence.

We butter fly fillet leave the belly intact fold the two half's with tail as 1, put in fish bag. Store in a large cooler with sea ice.
we have had them for 7-10 days and they are almost frozen through by the time we drive home. Once Home then prosses to size.
Don't just do as Others do . Do as they state. We have been ticked for a salmon sandwich on the ride home for un identifiable species of salmon.
Told them we were not going to waste fish. They Said here's you ticket follow the rules.

We've been checked a few times on the water [DFO in a RIB, with their head in your cooler and checking licenses - one time on the outside of Hunter Island, west of Bella Bella] - but maybe not for 10 years. The most dramatic was a multi-agency road block at the Zeballos turnoff, coming south from Port McNeill - 5 or 6 agencies checking guns, drugs, wildlife, fish, seatbelts, everything.

DFO unpacked our cooler, and wanted to give me a hard time about a de-headed pink - asking how he could know it wasn't a spring. That was an interesting conversation, until he finally conceded the fish was recognizable and clearly legal size, but said I should leave the head on next time. I still remember a bunch of guys drunkenly spilling out of an RV [at about 10 in the morning], trying to locate their licences - with garbage cans and bags of pinks, rockfish, etc all jumbled together -- I think they were there awhile, and the kind of guys you'd hope got charged and fined.

I would like to see more enforcement, provided it was focussed on the gross violators, not nit-picking the guys who are trying to be legal.

Can the the processors break them down further than we can?
As a licensed sport fish processor we are able to cut the fish into any sized portions, are not required to leave the tail or any fins on. We pay a fee for the license, and are inspected yearly by the Provincial Government and have two or three spot checks from DFO over the course of a season. We have to label every piece we process, with our name, our license number, the fishermans name and license number, and what species it is. Typically we package in about 1.5 lb pieces, and we charge $2.50 per lb of the processed weight. We are responsible for keeping track of what we processed, not processing more than legal limits, and not processing under/oversized fish or closed species such as yellow eye.20220730_113045.jpg

Last edited:
As a licensed sport fish processor we are able to cut the fish into any sized portions, are not required to leave the tail or any fins on. We pay a fee for the license, and are inspected yearly by the Provincial Government and have two or three spot checks from DFO over the course of a season. We have to label every piece we process, with our name, our license number, the fishermans name and license number, and what species it is. Typically we package in about 1.5 lb pieces, and we charge $2.50 per lb of the processed weight. We are responsible for keeping track of what we processed, not processing more than legal limits, and not processing under/oversized fish or closed species such as yellow eye.
I was surprised at the fact that the lodges can process for you and charge per bag but not necessarily be responsible for the limits and sizes. I didn't realize there were licensed and non licensed processors. Over at the Bamfield Lodge they charged per bag and labeled things just like you described, but they kept reiterating that it's the fisherman's responsibility to be within their limits. They did insist on keeping tails and collars and limiting the amount of portions per fish.

I was surprised at the fact that the lodges can process for you and charge per bag but not necessarily be responsible for the limits and sizes. I didn't realize there were licensed and non licensed processors. Over at the Bamfield Lodge they charged per bag and labeled things just like you described, but they kept reiterating that it's the fisherman's responsibility to be within their limits. They did insist on keeping tails and collars and limiting the amount of portions per fish.
Ultimately it is the fisherman's responsibility to stay within limits. I track all the fish that we process, can't and will not process more than a legal limit, but I'm not enforcement, I don't know if a fisherman has kept other fish in his cooler or in his boat, I'm not responsible for those fish.

As a licensed sport fish processor we are able to cut the fish into any sized portions, are not required to leave the tail or any fins on. We pay a fee for the license, and are inspected yearly by the Provincial Government and have two or three spot checks from DFO over the course of a season. We have to label every piece we process, with our name, our license number, the fishermans name and license number, and what species it is. Typically we package in about 1.5 lb pieces, and we charge $2.50 per lb of the processed weight. We are responsible for keeping track of what we processed, not processing more than legal limits, and not processing under/oversized fish or closed species such as yellow eye.View attachment 83010

I had avoided them in the past because i thought they couldn't do any different, now that I know better I'm more inclined to use them.

Cheers, thanks for the details.

I will be fishing Campbell River for a week mid August...... Spin cast fishing mostly, shore and pier. I may have a trip out with
Dave H. in his boat for a first time trip through the Tyee Pool... Now my question is: (IF) I do catch a slab or 3 ....... what would
you guys do with the catch??? I do have a large styrofoam cooler. Would you just a ice a cleaned fish or take it to a proccesser
to hold till the end of the trip..... any ideas welcome

Thanks

John I.

Back