Processing / Transportation Question

BigBadBrad

Hi Gents,

I have a processing dilemma…..During my extended stay to WCVI (6-8 nights) I typically portion my salmon and halibut, vacuum seal, then freeze. I always leave the tail on for salmon and one side of halibut has the pec fin and tail attached for measurement.

If I have a 20lb spring, I normally portion it into 6 pieces total, label every piece, and put all individual vac sealed pieces back together in one bag so its obvious it came from a single fish…Now I understand this is technically illegal as I am not suppose to portion it into 6 pieces…But I can’t also freeze half a side of a 20lb fish, as its only me and my wife who will be eating it and would go to waste…unless we eat salmon for 4 days straight Ha-Ha.

I would hate to run into a “not so practical CO and get in trouble”. Any suggestions? What does everyone else do.

Cheers

You can legally do a salmon into 4 pieces, two per side obviously. Vacuum seal each piece leaving the tail on one piece. place the vacuum sealed pieces in order and each according to it’s side just like it was a whole fish, then vacuum seal the pieces together. This sucks them all nice and tight and easily identifies it as one fish.

But I know what you mean by these pieces being very large. This year we are going to use the fish processors in Ukee and see how that goes. To help with the cost I am going to partially clean the fish and deliver them for the final packaging and sealing.

51364740245_a0fe2d876d_c.jpg

In the past we have filleted the salmon, but left attached at the tail. These essentially whole fish go into the fish bags and then a freezer to get them solid before transportation. Once we get home (back in the states) we thaw just enough to be able to cut into portion sizes then vacuum pack those pieces and refreeze. But this year we are going to try what Walleyes said above - take them to a processor so they can miss that one partial thaw.

Fillet. Leave tail on one side. Partition by cutting the meat thru to the skin. Freeze flat. When you get home cut the skin between the portions with a knife. Give each piece a quick rinse to glaze then Vaccu pack. Been doing it for years.
Or just keep them on good ice for up to 8 days. Fillet at home.

You can legally do a salmon into 4 pieces, two per side obviously. Vacuum seal each piece leaving the tail on one piece. place the vacuum sealed pieces in order and each according to it’s side just like it was a whole fish, then vacuum seal the pieces together. This sucks them all nice and tight and easily identifies it as one fish.

But I know what you mean by these pieces being very large. This year we are going to use the fish processors in Ukee and see how that goes. To help with the cost I am going to partially clean the fish and deliver them for the final packaging and sealing.

As per the reg:

• if filleted, one complete/intact fillet from one side of the fish retaining the pectoral fin and the tail fin must be retained.

Not suppose to cut into 4.

That's a very good example. Just takes guesswork from CO.

I also agree if you can take and get it processed at facility. I did this at Eaglenook last year. It was all labelled with our license numbers attached. Came home and bam in freezer it went. No more processing and I think it is worth it if you can.

As per the reg:

• if filleted, one complete/intact fillet from one side of the fish retaining the pectoral fin and the tail fin must be retained.

And here in lies the problem. Who can eat an entire fillet of a 25lb salmon in one sitting? It’s illegal to waste your catch. So by portioning it up before you freeze it makes the most sense. I’m going to be down on the coast for 2 weeks fishing. I have no choice but to fillet and portion up my catch so I can freeze it and not waste anything.

As per the reg:

Yup your right they changed it this year. For frick sakes man what a bloody conundrum they make this.

And here in lies the problem. Who can eat an entire fillet of a 25lb salmon in one sitting? It’s illegal to waste your catch. So by portioning it up before you freeze it makes the most sense. I’m going to be down on the coast for 2 weeks fishing. I have no choice but to fillet and portion up my catch so I can freeze it and not waste anything.
A person has to buy a smaller affordable meat band saw really is the only way. Freeze them as they want them then when you get home portion them on the band saw.

With the slot size of 62 - 80 cm how would you prepare a spring for transport ? I understand afishery officer needs to be able to determine the size

As per the reg:

so, by this method, you can bonk a spring, fillet it while keeping the peck fin and tail on one side and portion up the other side with no problems.

I do what @Samnjoe does. Filet, then cut the meat until I hit the skin, but do not cut the skin, and freeze it flat. When I get home just finish cutting through the skin and vacpac it. This meets all the regs and takes all the guess work out for the CO

I do what @Samnjoe does. Filet, then cut the meat until I hit the skin, but do not cut the skin, and freeze it flat. When I get home just finish cutting through the skin and vacpac it. This meets all the regs and takes all the guess work out for the CO
Me too, or bring em home on salt ice.
Last trip we used a processor where we filleted and they packaged. They weighed the frozen packages.
Worth it even at $2.50lb. Not so much if they weigh ling heads etc before processing.

These essentially whole fish go into the fish bags and then a freezer to get them solid before transportation. Once we get home (back in the states) we thaw just enough to be able to cut into portion sizes then vacuum pack those pieces and refreeze. But this year we are going to try what Walleyes said above - take
That's a very good example. Just takes guesswork from CO.

I also agree if you can take and get it processed at facility. I did this at Eaglenook last year. It was all labelled with our license numbers attached. Came home and bam in freezer it went. No more processing and I think it is worth it if you can.
Can the the processors break them down further than we can?

just a help here, instead of the whole tail, just leave a small piece of it. (hali) , length can still be confirmed.

Back