Preferred Knife for Salmon?

It certainly is. The belly has more fat, better flavour and melts in your mouth. It smokes well as the fat will absorb the smoke. For tuna at the Sushi bar you pay a premium for Toro, the fatty tuna belly. We do sometimes cut out a little belly when removing a pectoral fin and keep it for Halibut bait. A little belly oil leaves a nice scent trail and the fin structure holds well on the hook.
I really like taking the whole belly off first if I plan on keeping them to eat.

We sometimes do as well. It is so much thinner than the main part of the fillet that it is easy to overcook the belly if you do not separate it.
This thread was about the best knife for cutting salmon up; I apologize for derailing it with a discussion about what you do with the parts.

Go to 8:25 to see the Victorinox knife in action.

Thanks for that. I couldn’t remember for sure which end Jerry started the fillet stroke from and because you have to leave the tail attached to get it home he likely started from the head too. I know he grabbed it from the tail to cut the fins off. I guess I’ll have to get a refresher in 2022:)

I have had Grohmann knives sine the early 1970's when they made the Russel Belt knife.

I now buy their seconds from the website.

Superb quality

This was a great tip. I ordered 3 of their seconds. So far only used on beef and work great...now I just need a salmon. Seem like a high quality product. Im interested to see how the edge holds up.

Yep Grohmann makes a broad range of knives

Here is a link to their seconds/sale items

they also make snow knives and

Whale Flensing Knife Carbon Steel​

Grohmann Whale Flensing Knife

Whale flensing knife, for whale autopsies/necropsies

Base price $516.25

Description​

19" Blade made from quality carbon steel for best edge retention and ease of sharpening. As with all carbon steel, keep cleaned and oiled when not in use. Detachable wood handle. Approx 5ft long when attached. Custom orders only.

this is a great knife and sharpens easily. this is in USD made by Dexter Russell
View attachment 71231
I have the 12" Butcher knife and use it for skinning larger halibut fillets and filleting lingcod. I'm sure it would be good for breaking salmon as well (I don't usually do mine that way). The knife stays sharp pretty well and sharpens easily.
...Rob

You can buy one for the garage, the boat, the car, the garage again, the kitchen and still spend under $50. Sharp as hell and my go to cheap knife. Great for gifts too because you can get someone a whole set for cheap.

Back