Preferred Knife for Salmon?

Baxter

I always use a fillet knife for cleaning my fish, but I find that cutting through those bones to pull the fillets off dulls my knife pretty quick (Although Perhaps I just have a cheapo-garbage-knife.

I sharpen it with a stone often, but am just learning how to do that, and while I am getting better, I am no blacksmith yet ;)

Thinking of buying a boning knife, or something else for that part of the job.

Is it worth it? What knifes are you using to clean your catch.

Without question this is the best knife for filleting salmon that I ever purchased. PNT

Attachments

• 260BA09D-F04D-4ACC-8EB8-E10F21BE5C70.jpeg
    260BA09D-F04D-4ACC-8EB8-E10F21BE5C70.jpeg
    385.9 KB · Views: 342
  • 79070FC8-E2F1-4B68-91A6-68149EACFC2D.jpeg
    79070FC8-E2F1-4B68-91A6-68149EACFC2D.jpeg
    307.1 KB · Views: 340
  • 70C8A0E7-4E6B-4493-9D11-3188DBCCED1B.jpeg
    70C8A0E7-4E6B-4493-9D11-3188DBCCED1B.jpeg
    400.3 KB · Views: 346
I have 2, the 9" Bubba and a North Arm 9" Kermode filet knife. I use the Bubba probably 8 x more than the NA, primarily as the NA knife needs more finesse and I'm definitely not a finesse guy. The Bubba is cheap and holds an edge well. I'm a fan of both but would have the Bubba only if I had to choose.

You wont find a better filet knife then the North arm……. Bubbas are good for cheap boat knives, I keep the North Arm kermodes at home for fileting and processing. Great local father son shop.

Different knifes for different styles. I like a big stiff blade that I pull along the spine in one continuous motion. It's fast and yields a great looking final product. I like the North Arm products but that blade is too thin and flexible for my style. If they made a big one like the one posted I would be all over it

I just saw this for the first time. Interchangeable blades. Could come in handy as one knife does not do it all.

I just saw this for the first time. Interchangeable blades. Could come in handy as one knife does not do it all.
My first thought was cool set up (one of my knives is a Bubba and I love the handle but it does not hold the edge too long IMO).

My second thought was that I would need a kevlar glove on both hands now because there is too much blade handling to switch out the system parts :).

Back