Prawning spots Victoria/oak bay?

habberdasher

Hi with my spots in Saanich inlet hard to access by trailering I wonder if I should make an effort to find some spots out front?
Just looking for general advice wether it is worth the effort? And if so any rough areas?
Thanks Tom

It's harder to fish Prawns because of the currents Tom.
On a slow current, there are prawns and big ones in Haro and JDF.
Most weigh their traps with a 5-10 lb ball to prevent drifting in the current.

I had a friend recently try to prawn out in Oak Bay area. I looked at his rig and told him he needed lots of weight but he didn't listen.... he lost a few strings of traps. The currents took it all... not the first I've seen have it happen to. Even with lots of weight the currents can still suck the traps or floats get tangled in kelp/logs and the current pulls the float away. So I'd say use a lot of weight if you are going to attempt it and be prepared to possibly lose gear. I like Brentwood Bay/Saanich inlet for prawning because its pretty stress free (current and wind wise)

Last edited:
I shrimp in the straights off Port Angeles and I use 30 lbs per trap and big floats and with anything over 1.5 current they hop along and have to be pulled. We have to stay close and pay attention but we get a lot of shrimp. 1 trap per float

Skunked in October off Victoria, well less than 1 per trap. We do 2x weighted traps about 10lb per trap plus 5-8lb weight on the line. Still hard to keep them from moving around. Bought a better puller so hope that will help, when it turns on a bit.
Thanks Kaelc Santa is getting me a puller my old one (my fifty year old son) quit what one did you get?

Anyone care to share any particular depths they’ve had success with at the waterfront/sooke? I do quiet well in the inlet at 200-230 but can’t seem to find any at that depth off waterfront

Weight them really well as the current rips in oak Bay and Victoria, unlike Saanich inlet. Also much more marine traffic that may drag the floats

Are you fishing commercial? Was that recent?

I couldn’t imagine the weight and amount rope I’d need to get down and not loose gear out front at much over 300 but I haven’t caught any lately!
No-- just quite a few years prawning. Prawns do move up and down-- at times (when molting they seem to disappear into the mud) . I have found prawns from as little depth as 175ft. In one area.. but the best producing depth consistently where I go ( not Sooke), is 300-425 ft. As far as rope and weights... give yourself LOTs of slack and use line weights. For the 425 depth my lines are 525ft long. For 300ft ---- around 450 ft of line. and again-and a 20oz line weight 60 ft from the surface if you are not using lead core line. My traps are the stainless circular 30 in round traps. I weight each trap with 2 flat 5lb diving weights . Zap strap them on each inside of the trap. AND.... approx 10-15 feet above the trap when you are dropping it, attach another 5 lb weight. This prevents line slap at the trap if the surface waters are choppy and bouncing your line. And as other here have stated.... dropping the traps on a rocky slope is most important. If the sounder says its flat, keep looking for a slope . That will make a big difference in my experience. As far as bait- anything from old socks soaked in Stink Bait, ( really !) to catfood , dry or canned etc-All the regular prawn guys here have their favorite bait.. One final thing-- if you are getting squat lobsters or slime eels ( hagfish) move---- ! Hope this helps. Its just one fishermans opinion. Its not the only way to catch prawns...experiment. And use a large float if the current is strong. Its easier to chase a visible float than a sunken one !

Last edited:
Roger a bright red float and a double, 5 feet or more trailing can help to spot. I’ve spent a few hours of my life chasing similar weighted traps. Appreciate the share.
X2 on the trailer. Makes it way easier to boat hook the line. I use a couple gill net floats on the trailer.

Back