Prawning off victoria

now I understand that nobody talk about it, however, where is a good place to drop prawn traps off Victoria? Oak bay, Cadboro bay, waterfront? Where's a good spot to go? What kinds structure should I look for and how deep? Thanks!

There are prawns all the way along the waterfront down deep. At some points in the year you can see quite a few commie trap lines off the waterfront. The challenge is the currents. I have got some over a really long slack...and even then the buoy was starting to go under. If you dare try...lots of weight on your trap, lots of extra line and big buoy....and do it over a long slack or your gear will be gone fast in the currents.

Make sure you put at least 10 lbs. of weight or more in each trap as the currents off Victoria can be strong and you can lose your traps if not properly weighted. Do some research of where to place the traps. I wouldn't put traps in areas with strong currents, too much chance of losing your gear.

Similar to the above posts, I don't think it's even worth trying unless you pick a day with lesser currents and set them around the slack. Losing traps to current sucks and even well weighted traps don't always survive.

Thanks everybody for the tips! I'll give it s go and see what happens. How long would you recommend soaking for and how deep? I know crabs like sandy bottom, what do prawns like? Thanks!

I did very well prawning off the Waterfront when I was moored at West Bay Marina. Biggest issue is keeping traps from wandering, both from other fishermen and from the currents. I would not prawn much into May, as there will be so much traffic out there that someone will see your float and pick it. I would put down 4 traps on a string, with the lines going to the bouys attached to 10 feet of chain and a 5lb bruce anchor. Never had them wander. I did OK on the south facing reef half a mile NNW of the yellow bouy in front of the harbour, and on the west side of the 181 foot reef 1/2 mile west of Brochie Ledge. Make sure your puller is in good shape, because the traps will also be full of Hermit crabs near the Yellow Bouy, and Green Urchins near Broachie. Oh, and do not get too far east of the rock at Broachie, I'm not sure what is down there but 8 of my traps are hung up on it :( .. You won't get the numbers of prawns you will in the Inlet, but they are all super extra jumbo size.

Back