Prawning in the Sidney area, any tips?

All is going well for our planned fishing trip in December! I wanted ask here about prawning as we are planning to drop a trap and test it out. This will be our first time. We'll be fishing for halibut in the Sidney channel. Would this be a good place to drop a trap on the side for fun?

Alternatively, if we wanted to dedicate a day to prawning, where would be the best place to go? What depths should we target?

Thanks guys.

prawning is best done in Saanich inlet. It is closed to fishing until the last 2 weeks of Dec, then closed again for a few months from Jan 1 on.
drop traps between Pat Bay and the moutn of the inlet between 220-250ft. prawn pellets with a squirt of herring oil/prawn bait juice. rocky bottoms produce well

prawning is best done in Saanich inlet. It is closed to fishing until the last 2 weeks of Dec, then closed again for a few months from Jan 1 on.
drop traps between Pat Bay and the moutn of the inlet between 220-250ft. prawn pellets with a squirt of herring oil/prawn bait juice. rocky bottoms produce well

This is really helpful, thank you. Where can I look up what date it opens/closes? Also, I assume fishing is closed in the Saanich Inlet in December correct? We're targeting halibut and winter springs, but I assume we would have to choose either fishing or prawning correct? Thanks.

Info:
In Saanich Inlet, Stuart Channel, and Alberni Inlet, "pulse" fishing may be implemented after Labour Day weekend to increase prawn escapement and prawn abundance. Closures may be implemented January 1 to March 31 in waters around Quadra and Cortes Islands; the communities of Powell River and Lund; Sechelt and Salmon Inlets; Malaspina and lower Jervis Straits, Stuart Channel, Saanich Inlet, Alberni Inlet, Tahsis Inlet, Muchalat Inlet and Howe Sound, to allow the prawn spawning cycle to complete. Confirmation of these closures are made in-season. Please see our Prawn and Shrimp Closures page for in-season changes.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/species-especes/shelltable-tableaucoquille-eng.html#shrimp

UPDATE:
-am I correct in saying we can prawn in the Saanich Inlet from Dec 16th - Dec 31st?
-is it possible to fish for Halibut or Winter Springs in the Inlet?
-if so, is it open season for the last 2 weeks of December?

Last edited by a moderator:
UPDATE:
-am I correct in saying we can prawn in the Saanich Inlet from Dec 16th - Dec 31st? Yes
-is it possible to fish for Halibut or Winter Springs in the Inlet? Winters possible, halibut not so much
-if so, is it open season for the last 2 weeks of December? Halibut open to Dec 31, Winters, no closure

I wonder when we will know if pulse fishing will continue in the saanich inlet January forward. The last two years it has but current regs state closed Dec 31st with January 2014 to be announced based on the spawner index.

The big question is to go christmas shopping or prawning? I know the wife and kids want prawns in their stocking, they are just afraid to ask.

GDW, I believe it is closed Jan 1 to 31 Mar. Think I saw the notice several weeks ago.

Good article Cuba Libre. I've definately noticed a steady decline in the size and numbers of prawns in Saanich Inlet over
the last several years. And it certainly doesn't help when the FN are pounding it year round for "ceremonial" purposes.
What a frickin' joke!

It seemed in the last couple of years as the other spots on the coast dried up, more of the commercial fleet targeted the Saanich inlet. I sent an email to DFO this spring when I witnessed the virtual carpet bombing taking place by the commercial boats. As normal, DFO just blew it off! I'd personally never seen that many commercial boats working the inlet, they were almost running into each other. I suspect this led to longer closure and unless they place limits on the commercial harvest, I don't see prawning lasting much longer.

Sad just a few short years ago prawning was touted as one of the more sustainable fisheries especially after the commercial guys increased their net size. How quickly things change.

I've never had a problem filling a pail though and I imagine they are down there waiting for us if DFO would let us out.

Guys, thanks for all the help. I'm really excited about our trip. In terms of licensing for a BC resident, do they just use the same regular fishing license, or do you need a separate one for shellfish? Also, I think I read somewhere it's 4 traps per license correct? And if it's just a regular fishing license that can be used, whats the duration of the license (i.e. is it a year from purchase date, or do they reset every year on Jan 1st for example). Thanks all.

Well you can buy a day, a few days, a week or a year I think. The year runs April 1st - march 31st so you'll get a few months out of your 2013/14 annual license. Annual for a BC resident is about $30. Same license for fish and shellfish but you need to buy a $6 salmon stamp to retain salmon.

Hey tom
The saltwater fishing license that you have it's the same one that allows you you to prawn it expires on march 31
Remember you are allowed to fish up to four traps but if you use four on the same line you must use two floats
One on each end of your traps
I find much easier to fish with two traps per set that way you can spread them out and it's easier to pull them up
Not so much strain on your puller
Good luck

Thanks guys! We've never been prawning but our family loves them. We always do a seafood feast when we are together so this will be a blast if we can actually catch something hahaha! I was thinking. Is there anyway to clear the prawn's intestinal tract right when you catch them (same theory as bleeding a fish), or is it still the same time old way of de-veining in the kitchen? Or is it feasible to keep them alive while the tract clears etc? I was just curious if there is a smart way to do it. Thanks.

Thanks guys! We've never been prawning but our family loves them. We always do a seafood feast when we are together so this will be a blast if we can actually catch something hahaha! I was thinking. Is there anyway to clear the prawn's intestinal tract right when you catch them (same theory as bleeding a fish), or is it still the same time old way of de-veining in the kitchen? Or is it feasible to keep them alive while the tract clears etc? I was just curious if there is a smart way to do it. Thanks.

local prawns don't really have a big vein that you need to worry about. Once shelled there's nothing visible.

There's a vein... When you twist the heads off often times you can pull the vein out if your careful. Tedious task when you've got a limit.

meh, you're eating bugs to begin with. Its not a dark vein that will be visible once cooked, waste of time to remove, you'll never notice.

Strange I can sure see them in my spot prawns when I don't get them out. Its a black grainy vein from the shoulders to the tail no it won't hurt you but doesn't look pleasent so I try to get them out. I don't do overnight soaks so quite often my prawns have mouthfuls of bait when I pull em and as such their digestive tract (the vein) is also working.

How can you not notice it?

I usually snap the heads off then freeze the prawns. When I thaw them I take a small pair of scissors and cut down the back of the shell. I find it exposes the vein and makes it easy to remove the shell. Works best with previously frozen prawns as the meat pulls away from the shell during freezing.

Back