Prawning in the muck

browningmirage

Looking to see if anyone has prawned when the water is chocolate milk. Suspect it's not very good for release survival, but that the water down deep will still be clear.

Anyone?

OK-- heres the scoop. Prawns are tough little boogers. Studies primarily in Oregon, where experiments were conducted to determine what handling would do to released prawns showed that they can be dropped on the deck from as high as 9ft with minimal mortality. They also studied how long they could be removed from water with little effect. Again-- tough guys-- up to 10 min. Some of the prawns that were studied were brought up from 600 ft ! and survived that. As far as getting through the freshwater lens while descending... my diving experience indicates that below 30 ft in the winter , its salt water and prawns go semi dormant while moulting and can be found on muddy bottoms. Commercial boats have a release pipe for undersized/ berried that finishes just below the keel. That is still in the upper layer and as far as I know, the short exposure to low salinity is not harmful. Hope this helps. One other thought.. in murky water predators ( seals, doggies, cod etc) will not get a visual on them quite as easy. But I dont know of any study to verify that--- but it seems to make sense.

Yes indeed, that is why we are releasing berried prawns. Here's a link to research paper for reference https://www.researchgate.net/public...wn_Pandalus_platyceros_using_reflex_behaviors

Thanks Pat
I wasnt going to dig up the nitty gritty of the studies , so its good that you had it handy. ( ps-- still miss my berried prawns ) sniff..... and 40 min exposure ???? I hope prawners dont take this to heart !!! Too many other variables-- get them back in the water ASAP

Back