Prawning Brentwood bay?

Quick Question, Is it worth throwing back female prawns loaded with eggs, went out last weekend and had a couple that were packed with eggs, so we tossed em back... will they survive or were we being nice for no reason lol

Klink

Yes, you should return any pregnant prawn and they do survive. Most large ones out there have eggs right now.

We lost everything off Brentwood Bay by Senanus Island last summer by leaving them out overnight. I had a 5# anchor on one end of the line, two traps and a big-a$$ float on the other end. With no wind and no appreciable tidal flow in the bay, there's only one explanation for disappearing gear. Never again.

That same weekend we hit a seal and destroyed the outdrive. Expensive weekend - luckily the outdrive repairs (new leg and prop) were covered by our insurance.

Hey The Rock...Where is it you are setting your prawn traps? Reason I as is I don't want to waste my time setting mine there..probably none left[xx(] You must be stuffing down a lot of prawn to stay within your 'possession' limit;).

Tom

Sweet, it gives me that warm fuzzy feeling knowing that I saved some dinner for later

Klink

Tom... I am not going to reveal where we prawn. I can say after 13 straight days of prawning the spot we prawned was hardly fished out.. lol.. actually at the end it was actually improving if any thing.. You just have to find a nice ridge or top of a drop off, drop the traps in at 200ft - 250ft.

quote:Originally posted by Poppa Swiss

quote:13 straight days of prawning
\

Damn, how many prawns do you really eat man?

We split them up amongst the families, supply last a year or two.. don't have to drop the prawn traps in agian for another year or two..
Freeze the prawn tails in water in zip lock bags, submerge them in a bucket of water to get all the air out and zip the bag at or under the water line.. air tight zip lock bag of prawn tails.. last for years.. I pulled out one bag that was almost two years old.. you could'nt tell.. they were like fresh. Non go to waist.

ya thats nice to have prawns to save but I thought the possesion limit was 400 prawns?

Limit of 200 prawns a day per person, possession limit 400. Exactly what it says, you can not have more than 400 prawns per person on our boat or in your cooler or buckets at a give time. There is NO Annual limit for prawns! You could catch 200 prawns a day every day that it is open if you wanted to..
Daily limit = 200
Possession Limit = 400
Annual Limit = Unlimited
I suppose you could say that the annual limit is 73,000 per person based on a 200 prawn per day limit for 365 days if it were open every day.

quote:Originally posted by TheRock

ya thats nice to have prawns to save but I thought the possesion limit was 400 prawns?

Limit of 200 prawns a day per person, possession limit 400. Exactly what it says, you can not have more than 400 prawns per person on our boat or in your cooler or buckets at a give time. There is NO Annual limit for prawns! You could catch 200 prawns a day every day that it is open if you wanted to..
Daily limit = 200
Possession Limit = 400
Annual Limit = Unlimited
I suppose you could say that the annual limit is 73,000 per person based on a 200 prawn per day limit for 365 days if it were open every day.

Doesn't the "Unless at the permanant place of residence" apply here? Thought that applied to just about every other possesion rule.

Could anyone clarify possesion limit? I've heard some interesting ideas about it over the years. It doesn't seem complicated to me but...

is that true?

i too have heard conflicting descriptions of possession limit - i kinda thought that what you had at home was in your possession. otherwise one could literally have a 100 salmon or more in their freezer...

The Rock is correct. It is the amount that you have in your possession until you get to your place of residence. That's how fisheries has explained it to me. It only really applies if you are doing an overnight excursion. If you are just heading out for the day and then returning home, the daily limit will be your cap.

Hope that helps.

Highliner

quote:Originally posted by likwit

is that true?

i too have heard conflicting descriptions of possession limit - i kinda thought that what you had at home was in your possession. otherwise one could literally have a 100 salmon or more in their freezer...

Read the regs mate, there is no conflicting description there. As stated, possession limit does not include what's in your freezer, only what you are transporting from the fishing grounds.

As descibed in the glossary at the end.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish/2007SFGTidal_e.pdf

"possession limit does not include what's in your freezer, only what you are transporting from the fishing grounds."

Well, that's another reg I totally disagree with[V]

Tom

So Tom, you feel that a 2 day possession limit should actually be the annual limit? 8 salmon a year? 4 halibut a year? 400 prawns per year? Maybe I misunderstood you...

Back