Prawning Brentwood bay?

Don't forget to check the regs. I believe it is open until Oct. 31 then closed for the first 2 weeks of Nov. and so on.
Tips

Don't forget to check the regs. I believe it is open until Oct. 31 then closed for the first 2 weeks of Nov. and so on.
Tips

The usual productivity for this time of year, pretty good. Quantity not bad but size seem smaller this year, for me at least.

The usual productivity for this time of year, pretty good. Quantity not bad but size seem smaller this year, for me at least.

It opened last Tuesday, Oct.16. we have been prawning and crabbing every day since it opened. Very good quantity, easy limit every day. I agree with salmon9, I noticed the prawn size is a bit smaller than previous years. We checked our traps this after noon and the first 4 traps in our set had been checked !!! All 4 traps practicly empty !! first time this has happened that they were empty ! The bottom closure hook on each trap were not in the usual spots we clip them to ! Our bait cups are drilled with many holes, pelets in the bait cups have been mostly eaten is the sign of many prawns in the trap. The rope had unusual loops that we never have the way we drop the rope out as we are motoring away.. clearly our traps were pulled! Our next 4 traps set just a bit farther up the coast were full ! I'd love to catch that MOTHER FXXKER who pulls other people traps!!

It opened last Tuesday, Oct.16. we have been prawning and crabbing every day since it opened. Very good quantity, easy limit every day. I agree with salmon9, I noticed the prawn size is a bit smaller than previous years. We checked our traps this after noon and the first 4 traps in our set had been checked !!! All 4 traps practicly empty !! first time this has happened that they were empty ! The bottom closure hook on each trap were not in the usual spots we clip them to ! Our bait cups are drilled with many holes, pelets in the bait cups have been mostly eaten is the sign of many prawns in the trap. The rope had unusual loops that we never have the way we drop the rope out as we are motoring away.. clearly our traps were pulled! Our next 4 traps set just a bit farther up the coast were full ! I'd love to catch that MOTHER FXXKER who pulls other people traps!!

I've had my traps pulled by poachers too in the past, hate it but can't think of how to stop it. Any suggestions out there? I don't have a prawn puller, so heavily weighting the trap line doesn't work for me.
Rock I've never crabbed the Inlet before, just up there near the fuel docks at Cow Bay. Is there another spot, the commercials pretty much vacuum up all the keepers up there.
PinchMe

I've had my traps pulled by poachers too in the past, hate it but can't think of how to stop it. Any suggestions out there? I don't have a prawn puller, so heavily weighting the trap line doesn't work for me.
Rock I've never crabbed the Inlet before, just up there near the fuel docks at Cow Bay. Is there another spot, the commercials pretty much vacuum up all the keepers up there.
PinchMe

I was just thinking, in the spirit of halloween, put something that looks like a hand or head in the trap. That would probably be pretty freaky looking coming up out of the depths. LOL :D

I was just thinking, in the spirit of halloween, put something that looks like a hand or head in the trap. That would probably be pretty freaky looking coming up out of the depths. LOL :D

There are lots of spots PinchMe You have to do some trial and error. Find some bays and inlets that aren't fished much and keep trying new spots till you find your honey hole. We pull our prawn traps by hand with a Scotty pulley wheel.. heavily weighting our traps doesn't work for us either... One solutions my friend has is he goes out prawning he drops his traps for 2-3 hours and does not let them out of his sights, as he's waiting he jigs for sole to kill time. There is really good sole fishing in the inlet.
Another deterrent I came across once was when we read some ones float and it read "I have a telescope and a Riffle, Pull at your own Risk!" LOL..

There are lots of spots PinchMe You have to do some trial and error. Find some bays and inlets that aren't fished much and keep trying new spots till you find your honey hole. We pull our prawn traps by hand with a Scotty pulley wheel.. heavily weighting our traps doesn't work for us either... One solutions my friend has is he goes out prawning he drops his traps for 2-3 hours and does not let them out of his sights, as he's waiting he jigs for sole to kill time. There is really good sole fishing in the inlet.
Another deterrent I came across once was when we read some ones float and it read "I have a telescope and a Riffle, Pull at your own Risk!" LOL..

Hard to take! All in an afternoon last week departing from Cow Bay. 45 minute soaks averaged 150+ in each string of 2 traps. Out for another stock up and a cruise in to Saltspring Pub for lunch tommorow. Maybe hit the Spa while were at er?

IMG_1923.jpg

IMG_1927.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Tailspin

Hard to take! All in an afternoon last week departing from Cow Bay. 45 minute soaks averaged 150+ in each string of 2 traps. Out for another stock up and a cruise in to Saltspring Pub for lunch tommorow. Maybe hit the Spa while were at er?
.jpg[/img]

Stop it Justin, yer makin' my mouth water !:D

I left my traps overnight on Saturday off of Mill Bay and had someone pull my traps and stole the first trap on the line. This is the second time I have had traps stolen there. Watch your traps and don't leave them unattended for long periods of time, at least in the Mill Bay area. I can easily identify them so I am paying close attention to what I see around the docks and boat launches.

I have had mine pulled on the Pat Bay side if left overnight, but no issues on the mill bay side yet. I tend to stick pretty close to the traps as we cook some freshies right on the boat while we wait. It will be nice if they stay open this year, even if it is only two weeks a month.

Tailspin has it right.45 min-1hr is enough time for a trap to be down.I'll go out in a day and pull 3 sets in 4 hours.Easy to burn 1/2 an hour while you wait for the first trap to fill up (hopefully).
I have never left traps overnight as it is just too easy to have them stolen.

I guess it really depends in the area you have your prawn traps in. We had 8 prawn traps down over night for 13 days and nights straight. We checked them every day, non were stollen, only on one day we had 4 traps that were checked and re set. Our dads came every night to pull the traps so we had 4 guys on the boat, or limit was 200 prawns each, 800 prawns per day. It was an easy limit every day. Average was 100-150 prawns per net for a 24hr. soak. Over the coarse of 13 straight days of prawning we managed just over 10,000 prawns! I know what I am having for dinner tonight [:p]

Back