Prawning area 19

bentley

So is sfo really slow at releasing fishery notices or is prawning going to remain closed, the ussal dat is april 1, but it still says it's closed this morning ??? Any ideas ??

Just checked again and i agree it says the Inlet is closed. Not sure if it's part of the DFO site upgrade, cluster, or if it's legit. Haven't seen any notice posted saying it's open.

Emailed and the was the reply

Please see our DFO Pacific Region website for recreational fishing closures & regulations www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/index-eng.html or click on BC Sport Fishing and choose your fishing location. Areas that are closed will re-open April 1. The 2016-17 Prawn & Shrimp by Trap Integrated Fisheries Management Plan is available at www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/Library/363240.pdf . Or please call our front desk at 250-756-7270 for assistance

Note the areas closed open April 1st. I'd say it's open?

It's open, stupid website says zero chinook retention also but this is incorrect.
AdvTHXance posted this on the FN0301 thread:
I put a call into DFO about the potential closure of Saanich Inlet. The guy I spoke with came to the conclusion that its an error on the DFO site. Saanich Inlet is open for chinook retention. He also mentioned that the minimum size for retention in parts of area 19 is listed incorrectly as 65cm (its still 62cm).

The tidal regulations have gotten so out of control that even dfo can't get it straight! It's time for some measures to simplify things.

If you go to their website they even say that the posted regulations are not valid after March 31. Well HELLO it's after March 31! They don't even have the current regulations available! So, you have to sort through hundreds of FN's to try and figure out what's going on.

Completely ridiculous!

The tidal regulations have gotten so out of control that even dfo can't get it straight! It's time for some measures to simplify things.

If you go to their website they even say that the posted regulations are not valid after March 31. Well HELLO it's after March 31! They don't even have the current regulations available! So, you have to sort through hundreds of FN's to try and figure out what's going on.

Completely ridiculous!

Ayup. Someone's gettin paid way too much.

Salmon fishing is definitely open in Saanich Inlet. I got a 2nd follow up call yesterday to confirm, and the officer asked me to "spread the word". Apparently they had had a lot of calls about this.

As far as prawning goes, it looks to be closed. In the area 19 page, listed under the "other invertebrates" page, it states that the inlet is closed. This page was last updated March 21st, and there is a yellow header at the top stating that theyre in the process of updating their online data, and to check with the FN system for current info. So unless there is a FN that explicitly says the inlet is open to prawning, Id err on the side of caution.

What amazes me is that this is so confusing that even the SFBC community who are avid anglers, watching the regulations regularly, and have the benefit of asking fellow members when we need clarification can't make any sense of the regs.

Imagine the casual angler who only goes fishing a couple times a year? Is it any wonder that so many sports fisherman end up inadvertently retaining illegal fish. I also think that if someone was charged by fisheries for a violation, it would be pretty easy to defend yourself in court. You would only have to ask the judge to read the regulations and explain them!

The regs are an absolute joke. Far more confusing than they need to be. Reading them is more difficult than Chinese calculus. If you held a contest to create the most unintelligible website possible, it would no doubt be a winner. A great example of the incompetence of government agencies.

Thanks for the replys guys, I would say by the number of boats and traps that we saw out there this morning it would be open, also where I've got my boat, the old guy said two DFO boats were out last night stopping boats who were trying to set early, what amazes me is that they can man two boats with 4 crew, but can't update there website, too the current regulations.
Glad to hear that fishing is open in the inlet, going to try tomorrow afternoon near wain rock, while the traps soak!!

Salmon fishing is definitely open in Saanich Inlet. I got a 2nd follow up call yesterday to confirm, and the officer asked me to "spread the word". Apparently they had had a lot of calls about this.

As far as prawning goes, it looks to be closed. In the area 19 page, listed under the "other invertebrates" page, it states that the inlet is closed. This page was last updated March 21st, and there is a yellow header at the top stating that theyre in the process of updating their online data, and to check with the FN system for current info. So unless there is a FN that explicitly says the inlet is open to prawning, Id err on the side of caution.
If you look at my post above, it says Areas closed reopen April 1st. But who knows!

Yeah I get that, and I agree that it probably is open. I was just saying that personally I would err on the side of caution if the website has it listed as closed.

Hopefully they get this all sorted out because I think its caused enough confusion already.

Prawning in Saanich Inlet did open April 1 and is pretty decent. Limited out the 4 licences that were on the boat today.

Back