Possession Limits - your take?

I know this is incorrect as I sent 9 - Springs and a couple Coho for processing from a group trip last year
all under one name and license for processing.

That is true.....when we put our fish in when in Tofino they only actually ask for one license which is really the name on the account for the order.

So I'm allowed to go to say nootka for a week and catch 30 fish, my son is allowed his 30, my wife is allowed 30. So Lon as I take it to different processing plants? Wicked..... I'll take the first 12 to tahsis, then drive down the road and drop another 12 at mootcha, then drive to st jeans for another 12. Then when i drive home ill take another 12 in the cooler. Hell ill even bring my second son and do 16 pcs.

Just doesn't seem right

Since when? If I eat the fish, I no longer consider it part of my limit...

I can't seem to find it on the newer DFO website but it was clearly in the regs that any fish you consume while away from your place of residence goes towards your possession limit.

Sorry but I don't buy this. If I've returned to my residence after dropping fish at a processor and go out fishing a week later before they've processed my order I'm sure I can drop off more fish to process as long as I am compliant with my legal limitations. This would put St Jeans and others out of business. The season is only a few weeks long (peak).

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...gwaii-fined-35k-for-illegal-fishing-1.3949159

IF you are at a lodge and the lodge is the processor you or the lodge are going to get busted.

If a processor has more then your possession limit at their facilities under your licence when they get raided they will be busted for accepting more than your legal limit.

IF you are fishing while the processor has your possession limit in their possession at their facility (DFO would have to link you fishing at the same time the facility had your limit) From what i was told its not worth it DFO to bother on this one.

These are the rules report them

I know this is incorrect as I sent 9 - Springs and a couple Coho for processing from a group trip last year
all under one name and license for processing.

Agreed. They ask for "a" license whenever I drop with my crew although I insist each fisher use his own license.

Sorry but I don't buy this. If I've returned to my residence after dropping fish at a processor and go out fishing a week later before they've processed my order I'm sure I can drop off more fish to process as long as I am compliant with my legal limitations. This would put St Jeans and others out of business. The season is only a few weeks long (peak).

Hey buddy, it is tough and not totally clear but if you look at it in theory....you need to walk through your door with your fish and then go to the processor. That way your fish has been in your home and you're free to fish while it's getting processed.

Returning to your residence is the key factor here....I am sure you wouldn't get dinged if you stopped at St. Jean's on your way in from the ferry and dropped your fish there and went home. The big kicker is walking through the door. The rule should apply across the board that you need to go home as it sure doesn't seem right that I can spend 15 days in Tofino catching my daily limit of springs and filling up my license....so long as they go to a processor every second day.

I can't seem to find it on the newer DFO website but it was clearly in the regs that any fish you consume while away from your place of residence goes towards your possession limit.

If you catch and eat the fish on your boat, it goes towards your Daily Limit. An office would have to see you catch more than your daily limit to bust you or you would have to be dumb enough to tell them you cought more then your daily limit. In order for them to bust you on your possession limit they would personally have to see you catch more then your daily limit for 2 days.

Hey buddy, it is tough and not totally clear but if you look at it in theory....you need to walk through your door with your fish and then go to the processor. That way your fish has been in your home and you're free to fish while it's getting processed.

Returning to your residence is the key factor here....I am sure you wouldn't get dinged if you stopped at St. Jean's on your way in from the ferry and dropped your fish there and went home. The big kicker is walking through the door. The rule should apply across the board that you need to go home as it sure doesn't seem right that I can spend 15 days in Tofino catching my daily limit of springs and filling up my license....so long as they go to a processor every second day.

Agreed. It's all about going home.

Straight from the DFO website

"
Fish that you eat

A fish that you’ve caught and are preparing to eat immediately while you are

away from your ordinary residence is considered part of your daily limit and your

possession limit. Once the fish is eaten, it’s no longer part of your possession limit.

However, it is still part of your daily limit for the day it was caught."

Sport Fishing Guide Page 10. Eat all you want

Agreed. It's all about going home.

According you u guys you don't all you need to do is put it under your wife Licence number shes at home right? While your at the processor you might as well get them to print you out a new licence as well. Then while your out you might as well put your catch in that suit case so u can keep fishing. Cus dfo cant seach it right?

They sound shady as ****

Straight from the DFO website

"
Fish that you eat

A fish that you’ve caught and are preparing to eat immediately while you are

away from your ordinary residence is considered part of your daily limit and your

possession limit. Once the fish is eaten, it’s no longer part of your possession limit.

However, it is still part of your daily limit for the day it was caught."

Sport Fishing Guide Page 10. Eat all you want

That's good to know. I guess where you'd be screwed is on a 2 day trip if you tubbed out and ate one of your limit...legally it has counted to your daily limit so you're still going home with 1 fish below your possession. If you had a 3 day trip....on day 3 you could chase down that one last fish to round out your possession limit.

I did read the rules see my post above perfectly legal to eat your fish
Nobody said it wasn't-your quote says exactly what I said-even if eaten it is part of your daily limit-if it is gone it is no longer part of your possession limit'-if it hasn't been eaten yet it is part of both!

So I'm allowed to go to say nootka for a week and catch 30 fish, my son is allowed his 30, my wife is allowed 30. So Lon as I take it to different processing plants? Wicked..... I'll take the first 12 to tahsis, then drive down the road and drop another 12 at mootcha, then drive to st jeans for another 12. Then when i drive home ill take another 12 in the cooler. Hell ill even bring my second son and do 16 pcs.

Just doesn't seem right

It does not seem right because it is not right but you could probably get away with it. All 3 location would have to be raided at the same time and they would have to link your licence number to the catch.

It does not seem right because it is not right but you could probably get away with it. All 3 location would have to be raided at the same time and they would have to link your licence number to the catch.
But if taking your catch to a processor and people here say they do not wait 4-8 weeks for product to reach there residence before they resume fishing, because thats just stupid. Then what I'm saying is perfectly legal, matter of fact ill just stay in nootka for a month and rotate processors. By the time I get to st jeans, tahsis processing will have shipped and ill just start at the beginning again.

Tho doesn't make any common sense what so ever. If you catch you limits and decide to have it processed and shipped that was your decision. Pretty sure your out of the game for 4-8 weeks....

Tho doesn't make any common sense what so ever. If you catch you limits and decide to have it processed and shipped that was your decision. Pretty sure your out of the game for 4-8 weeks....

Legally speaking that's absolutely correct, weather you return to your ordinary residence or not. as long as your possession limit is out at a processor you cant legally keep more fish.

According you u guys you don't all you need to do is put it under your wife Licence number shes at home right? While your at the processor you might as well get them to print you out a new licence as well. Then while your out you might as well put your catch in that suit case so u can keep fishing. Cus dfo cant seach it right?

They sound shady as ****

Man you're really taking this to places I couldn't even imagine. I think I was clear. My fish on my license I took to processor and then went to my home. That is what I was referring to in terms of then being allowed to fish the next time.

Last edited:
There is no way DFO has the resources to enforce this poorly thought out regulation.
A possession limit should be just that, the fish in your possession.
If other fish have been sent for processing, so be it.
bottom line is that all Chinook must be recorded and all catch contributes to the annual limit.

Back