Portable Backup Generator

GLG

Wind today has knocked down some power lines as usual. It’s got me thinking of pulling the trigger for a basic backup generator. I’m looking for some opinions on what to buy. It’s for home use when the weather kick’s up and we lose power. It should be able to run some light’s and maybe a microwave or a heater if need be. TV or a laptop computer if the price point is right. Something nice and quiet so the neighbors don’t complain. Easy to start so I can send the wife out there to get it going.;) Fuel (gas) efficient would be nice but I’ll have plenty boat gas to run her. I’m interested in hearing what others are doing to get ready for the winter. Lessons learned from previous years. PM me if you don’t want to post. GLG

My dad has the honda 2000,awesome little generator quiet and good on fuel.It'll run a micro wave,or a SMALL heater,or some lights.Don't get sucked into buying a cheap brand,you get what you pay for.I'd be careful on plugging sensitive electronics into a generator a surge can do a lot of damage.Investigate first.Dan

Definately Honda. Used them for years up at my cabin and has saved some chilly nights.

On another note..tho more expensive...I have been installing a backup briggs and stratton propane generator for a few customers to backup their entire house, it all depends on what you're willing to spend. This type of generator is automatic when the power cuts out and you can run your entire house off it.

It's all about the mighty dollar tho, and the smaller Honda generators are the best on the market today.[8D]

Home Depot in Courtenay has a great deal at the moment. Honda generators, mid size, was $799, now just reduced to $599. Saw them today. Check them out. It's a real bargain!! :)

Thanks guys, good info. Time to go shopping. GLG

Yeah, I'll echo that. My dad has a Honda as well and absolutely loves it. I think he actually enjoys when the power goes out, just so he can use it. His cost around $2000. Not sure what model it is. It's easy to carry and it's pretty quiet.

Good luck.

Highliner
Fish2-2.gif

Howdy,

One important point seems to have been overlooked here. A 1000 or even 2000 watt genny won't run dick! You need to do some math and add up the total wattage of the things you want to run then buy a genny with another 20 or 30% higher capacity.

Example: I have a small 1000/watt Yammy that I use for hunting and camping specifically to run my battery charger for the mo-ho battery bank. My charger draws about 800/watts and my genny will barely handle it. In a power-outage, if you add say a freezer (900 watts?), a fridge, some lights, a vibrator?... wham-O, your 2000/watt Honda suddenly seems small. For power back-up and a reasonable degree of portability (so you could also use it for other stuff) I'd go a minimum of 3000/watts. Honda's are great, but don't turn your back on shopping around. A good place to learn about genny's I found was on RV forum's. They talk about that stuff till the cow's come home.

Good Luck!
Terry

My Wife and I have a coleman 4000 watt Gen. with a 8 HP Honda engine on it,she can start it also.I wouldn't get anything smaller than 3500 watts. the bigger the better.
Our power seems to always go out when it's blowing north east and freezing cold from the Fraser river valley.

RUM CHUM

I have a Honda 2000 on my boat and it works fine... really quiet and runs everything I need, if I manage things!

I have a 10000 btu for my home with a peak of 14000... and it runs everything! :)

quote:Originally posted by The Jackel

In the big storm we had a couple of years ago. My honda 2000 ran my 3 freezers, coffee machine, sat dish and lights. Didn't loose one piece of meat. I guess it all depends on what you want to spend but for $999.00 it is a steal.

><))))">
if you plug them in one at a time it may work, because the average newer freezer uses 1200watts starting, older ones use more, a coffee maker uses 600watts and so on
here is an idea of what appliances use for wattage
http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/products/generators/content.aspx?asset=gg_wattage

quote:Originally posted by The Jackel

Go to campworld.com, honda 2000 generators for $999.00, can't beat the price and they are reliable, quiet and fuel efficient. Mine has saved my bacon too many times to count.

><))))">
Can you check that link it seems to go to a search site not to any online store. Thanks GLG
PS Thanks to all others for your input.

The 2kw will run a heater, micro, tv and maybe a small fridge! That's about it! You might get a little more if you watch how you turn things on.

If you are going to run a water heater, furnace, lights, etc. Go ahead and get a least a 5kw. BTW a 5kw will not run my house! For sure Honda is the quietest... but home depot has a 10kw for about $1,300 US that has a Koehler motor, which isn't bad for noise.

Add up the amps of the things you went to run and buy the right size generator.

I would not buy the 2kw for my house, unless you are planning on buying two of them. :)

Back