Port Renfrew

Cowpasta

So we are looking to go up to Port Renfrew tmrw. After hearing all the reports that Renfrew is good fishing right now. Buddy looked at the tides4fishing and the fish active is very low. Does anyone go by these websites or are they just guessing as well.

We are in Shawnigan so long drive to go for fishing in Renfrew, should we just go and slug it out in the sooke area. I have been reading the reports for the area, there are a few fish there but not a ton. Thanks!

Tide movement is pretty big right now. There are fish to catch but nothing huge. It's a 30 mile run out of port to get steady action on mid range sized fish. Just my .02 as I was out there Fri/Sat.

I don't fish Renfrew...but you are asking about the solunar tables in general ( these tables happen to be used on Tides4Fishing.)

I have been using those solunar tables as a guide to bite times for quite awhile now.........and in all honesty I have to say they seem to be pretty accurate.

They don't guarantee what size fish you'll catch.......but I have been keeping a note of what they say and what actually occurs.....and they seem to be pretty good...I'd say about 80% correct for calculating the time you get the most bites......

Of course you can get bites other times too........

This solunar topic was covered quite awhile back......and some posted that the whole ideology was "bunk" science.......

I don't know if it's genuine bunk or not........but it works for me most of the time.

x2 that old man likes to look at it and I used my old scool tide and current charts. We both come up with our ideas of when the bite will be and who is right.

Seems tides4fishing bites are more accurate when there are low #'s of fish. When there is lots of fish. We have had 20-30 chinook days on low activity days. When there are no fish around it doesen't matter how good of a bite is forcast.

-KK

x2 that old man likes to look at it and I used my old scool tide and current charts. We both come up with our ideas of when the bite will be and who is right.

Seems tides4fishing bites are more accurate when there are low #'s of fish. When there is lots of fish. We have had 20-30 chinook days on low activity days. When there are no fish around it doesen't matter how good of a bite is forcast.

-KK

For what it's worth the 5 fish bite.4 fish.etc. BUNK
Would be interested to hear from others!

-KK

Are you saying you have caught Chinook on 20-30 days or 20-30 Chinook on a single day? If the latter is true, you are my hero.

Are you saying you have caught Chinook on 20-30 days or 20-30 Chinook on a single day? If the latter is true, you are my hero.

THere were 3 days this year from early march until now where we have had some great days. All of them were low or average activity days and we managed over 20 hookups each day.

We fished this past weekend where it said it was very high activity and we managed a couple short bites each day. No fish in the box.

-KK

I just flew back last night after a week in Renfrew. I fished everyday mostly early mornings and a few afternoons with the kids. It wasn't red hot but we managed a few fish each trip out. Although the kids voted to let them go when they were in the boat....lol oh well.......lots more days to come. I didn't fish any area real hard and picked a spot and put a few hours in. I fished West of Cullite three days and East Point for a couple as well. Most fish were pretty much clones.....high teens or low twenties. Back in a week...............

Wasn't to bad of a day. A couple nice teenager springs, a couple clipped coho. Like everyone was saying fishing wasn't red hot but we got some nice fish for the freezer!

Back