Port Renfrew

S

Spring Drifter

I've fished for coho off PR as late as mid-October. Is there a dramatic change of weather in the third and fourth week of October, say two or three miles out from the Bell Bouy?

I have fished the coho out of Renfrew since the late '50's and early 60's without noticing any significant change in runs in the areas you speak of.
The only consistent effect I have noticed is the water temperature , rainfall and creek/river flows which will contribute to lower salinity at the shallower bays and estuaries which I think trigger the spawning urge .
If this does not prove to be the case this year in the San Juan river escapement area and if as other posters have said there has been only 500+ escapement coho into the systems we are in big trouble unless a late surge occurs.
I don't know if the powers to be will realize there is a significant problem here until it's 2 to 3 years too late.
If such is the case we need to look as a people ,not as an indvidual F.N. /Commercial/Sports or any other user group into a realistic and visual fact based assessment of our natural resources future.
This has to include the increased surveillance of the devastating offshore long line nets of death that the Nations of Eastern Asia lay out and let run free to kill indescribable billions of fish, could this be where our salmon populations are taking a large impact in incidental kill before they get close to the North American shores and go through out local depredations ?

AL

Maybe the problem stems from the lack of fish returning 4 years ago . Does anyone recall what the weather situation was then . Was it a dry Sept. Oct. ? Was there low returns ? Does anyone have any data ?
M

Actually coho are a 3 year cycle fish, my log shows there was a good return and fishing was great, lots of water, this should have been a good year, somethings wrong. How come with all they're wisdom DFO is allowing people to jig off the San Juan bridge with the low return situation!!!

quote:.....we need to look as a people ,not as an individual F.N. /Commercial/Sports or any other user group into a realistic and visual fact based assessment of our natural resources future.
I agree Al it's a serious situation.

quote:This has to include the increased surveillance of the devastating offshore long line nets of death that the Nations of Eastern Asia lay out and let run free to kill indescribable billions of fish, could this be where our salmon populations are taking a large impact in incidental kill before they get close to the North American shores and go through out local depredations ?
I quite disagree with this, there are few drift net operations and those are all pirates.
Both Taiwan and Japan, under international pressure, bought out their high seas drift net fleets years ago.
There have been a few pirates caught in the intervening years by US Coast Guard flights out of Midway Island some with Canadian help, one notable struggle resulted in a pirate being chased all the way to China, but the walls of death are gone, long gone.
IMO what we're dealing with are less than optimum conditions for Coho smolt survival.
If the water is tad too warm when Coho smolts migrate out, as little as a few tenths of a degree Celsius, then the food isn't there and the smolts last about 48 hours before expiring.
That must be what happened, sure there are some fish Offshore always are but there are no hordes of Coho waiting to swim to the rescue, the party is over.
Anyone wanting further info can do a search on 'regime shift' in the Alaskan Gyre.

Dogbreath aka Carl Z

While other species of salmon almost always return to the same river,my understanding is that Coho won't always return to same river if the conditions are poor. I was told this was an evolutionary thing Coho developed in ordeer to survive. Lets hope they have moved to a different river this year. Does anyone else have info on this? Does anyone know how many coho have been going into the Alberni Inlet?

i dont think we can write it off yet, i have spent many years in renfrew and have seen fresh coho into late december, i think you will see a big surge of fish with all this rain, there might only be a lucky few who benefit, as they will most likely move through quickly in big numbers, 2 years ago fish were stacking up at the mouth coming in as far as the estuary and then back down with slack tide, first big rains they all moved up, they were even spawing in ditches on the side of the road, if you have the time ask those bridge fisherman how many fish have swam past them that will give you an idea how many are actually moving into the river, just my 2cents
dohboy

I have "heard" if conditions are bad enough the Coho will drop there eggs and stay offshore for another year. Any comments on this happening this year?

Just got back from a day at the fence with Mr Trembley. An eye opener to say the least!!!Lots of 30# to 40#'They are at 4700 springs so far and that should go over 6000 before they pull it. 6 times what DFO told them to expect. You guys have to try harder next year! As far as the coho they can wait as long as Dec. to spawn, no worries from the hatchery. Bud

quote:Originally posted by saltybeaver

I have "heard" if conditions are bad enough the Coho will drop there eggs and stay offshore for another year. Any comments on this happening this year?

You have heard wrong. They get one shot at it. Once they "drop their eggs" they die. Like Bud said, coho can wait it out until December, I have even seen coho in rivers in January.

Heading to Renfrew on the Wednesday for 2 days , a birdy has told me some coho have been hit about 2 miles out from the bouy and there were a few finning down by Botanical Beach.

AL

Can anybody confirm thr rumor that 1700 coho went through the counting fence on the san juan river in one day this week.[:0]

Just got back from Renfrew and was talking with Tom Mawson ; and yes there was an explosive run for an hour or so and at one point over 1500 coho went through in one hour and the numbers are still multiplying but at a slower and more sporadic rate, got some crabs but not a bite on the coho , they were on a mission and heading in and stopping for nothing.

Quite a sight actually from the bridge ......every now and then you would see a darker shadow heading in and they were moving fast on the rising tide.

AL

Back