Port Renfrew Reports Summer 2012

Merrittboy I use the cheap yellow nylon rope you can get 660 ft for $30.00 at sleggs, 3/8 diameter, oh and hey what about them YANKEES :). Hey Juandesooka maybe you need to spend more time updating your fishing reports instead of trying to make them yourself :D

Do I smell something burning in the Renfrew thread?

:D:D

Ouch, that's some salt in the wound Jackal. But tell you what, send me a report and I'll post it! ;)

Admittedly, been a little lax on the website stuff.....too much time on the water learning kite surfing, not enough time on the water fishing!
Though I've been slightly little better at keeping the facebook page updated this summer: http://facebook.com/fishing.sooke.portrenfrew

Hoping to get at least one more GOOD Renfrew day before summer fades away ... I'll give everyone a head's up, so you can get your fish before or after the jinx arrives....haha.

Doing my best ... to save some for everyone else that is. ;)

Hey, I got some 2footitis fever....maybe that HH would look better in my driveway?

And to keep it on topic, report related....Swelltime posted up a bunch of recent photos yesterday, looks like there's still a fish or two out at Swiftsure, for those willing to make the trek!

http://www.facebook.com/blair.legallais

Flying back out in the AM for another week or so and was looking for some reports. I checked out Blair's FB picks so I'm sure I be at the bank a few days. Wondering how the beach fishing has been the last few days? Thanks for any info.......I'll post up somethng once I'm back at it! Cheers!

sat and sun the beach provided limit numbers of 20 to 32 lb springs for myself and partner. tight to shore 25 to 33 ft. on the riggers .didnt need to fight the crowded areas i.e e.point ,camper ect. owen marker and rock pile were as far as we need to go.in a word awesome....

Hey ReelSlim, came by your shack a few times, last time you were out. Pretty sure I passed you as I was pulling boat to Renfrew, and you were coming out. Saw a wave, and an Alberta plate? Going to head back out, maybe, Sat and Sunday. Try to catch you again for a visit. Take care, talk soon. GG

this is a message to the Jackel. I have read the Port Renfrew thread for some time now. We finally went and fished Renfrew on Aug 10,11 and morning of the 12th. we did the flasher and anchovy drill but after fishing up north for the past 15-20 years i prefer cut-plugging. I heard that there a few guys that do really well that way at Renfrew and had a couple of questions. Are you running the cut-plugs off the riggers or power mooching with 6-8 oz weights? if you are power mooching how do you deal with the rigger guys coming from all angles? I must say I was surprised at the lack of boats following any kind of routine at the spots, Walbran especially.
it seemed like everyone, guide boats included just drove wherever they felt like. So much for right hand to the beach has the right of way like up North!
The other thing I noticed was that the bait that was present was quit small. Do you try to "match the hatch" when cut-plugging there or just use a medium or large herring?

this is a message to the Jackel. I have read the Port Renfrew thread for some time now. We finally went and fished Renfrew on Aug 10,11 and morning of the 12th. we did the flasher and anchovy drill but after fishing up north for the past 15-20 years i prefer cut-plugging. I heard that there a few guys that do really well that way at Renfrew and had a couple of questions. Are you running the cut-plugs off the riggers or power mooching with 6-8 oz weights? if you are power mooching how do you deal with the rigger guys coming from all angles? I must say I was surprised at the lack of boats following any kind of routine at the spots, Walbran especially.
it seemed like everyone, guide boats included just drove wherever they felt like. So much for right hand to the beach has the right of way like up North!
The other thing I noticed was that the bait that was present was quit small. Do you try to "match the hatch" when cut-plugging there or just use a medium or large herring?

Sorry to chime in but I can add some insight.

I'm sure the odd guy runs things off the rigger with success. but the heavy hitters who plug in Renny use 6 - 8 oz weights and fish mostly in very tight to Camper/Logan where most trollers don't venture into.

Don't worry too much about matching hatch and use standard size herring for plugging. The pigs are not too interested in feeding anyway and are tempted (like they are with the larger anchovy) by the irresistable role/spin.

Thanks JuanedeOne. Now I know how I'm going to fish next time I'm in Port Renfrew! It is a fantastic area and the people I have met there are great.

I am looking at doing one last trip to the island from the sep 6-10 and was thinking about possibility giving renfrew a try. I have been on a couple guided trips out to the banks a number of years ago but have yet to give it a go unguided. We have a 17' tyee so we would be fishing the beach. Both times out there in august it was extremely foggy. Is september the same? How is the fishing typically at this time for springs and coho? How is the halibut and groundfish fishing closer to shore? Thanks for any input..too many options out there.

As far as fog in that area, I'd say Sept. is worse. Also the long period, larger swells seem to show up in September.

Had a few days at PR over the weekend - don't care for the crowds at Camper and East point ( heard shore was pretty spotty for chinooks ) so we fished Swiftsure and the 500' line in JDF - lots n lots of small coho for us - one small spring about 10lbs

I fished the American side of Swiftsure on Sat. I trolled with the riggers at depths from 150-250' and couldn't find a spring. Lots and lots of coho, some starting to get to be nice size (8-10lbs). Nothing huge yet and no hook noses yet but bigger than I've been seeing. We limited on 6 nice hatchery coho on Sat and released many wilds (probably 12-15). So the mark rate appears to be better now than it was a couple of weeks ago.

Went to Renfrew on the weekend with my dad an eight year old son. It's spotty out there for springs, but got lucky Saturday evening at Eastpoint and picked up a 29 and a 32 in our first hour on the water (fishing away from the pack). Only got a 20 at Walbran on Sunday. Let my eight year old on the rod for the 20 at least until it got out of hand lucky it was hooked well, what a blast. Was a beautiful weekend. This is the 32, it was a bright fish.

Attachments

• Renfrew Springs 2012 009.jpg
    Renfrew Springs 2012 009.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 226
X2 on the nice fish Smokercraft! Awesome way to spend time with the kids. I'm back at work this week but I had friends out on Thursday and Friday for some fishing. We went to the bank the first day and got only one Spring about 15lbs and a limit of Coho. We struggled at times to get the gear out past the Coho so I'm not sure if the Springs were there or not or if the gear wasn't down long enough to find out! lol The next morning we tried our luck at East Point and lost a decent fish frst thing. It was a zoo out there and wasn't worth hanging around so tried Camper for a bit. Didn't see anything going on there so we headed to the Ranch again and had a good ride out. The Coho were everywhere and so were the Sealions! We only lost one to them but lots of chatter on the radio about them. No Springs that day for us but again the gear wasn't ever down for very long to find out. Tried to go deep to avoid some of the Coho but was still getting them at 225 feet. Once we had out Coho limit we tried for Hali's and nabbed one just over 20lbs. It was a great day out there and even better ride back in. We ran into a Humpback and a lone Orca and got a bit of a show on the flat water on the way home. Back out on Tuesday for a few more days to fish....tidy up the cabin and pull the boat for the season. So far it's been another great summer fishing Renfrew with friends and family! Cheers!

Back