Port Renfrew Reports Summer 2012

What were you catching them with?
If you are talking about the beach fish? I was fishing bait. As far as the bank goes it was all hardware. I started off with smaller spoons but couldn't keep the Coho off so I switched to 6" Tomics. Almost all gear works out there but everyone will have their favourites......cheers!

It looks like I won't be able to use the cabin rental dates (August 11 to 16) I reserved because my new motor packed it in on first sea trial. Send me a message if you want the cabin dates or perhaps you have a boat with room for a sorry butt or two. I don't think anyone rents boats in Renfrew?

Thanks, I just called Lucky. It appears they don't have all the dates I require but they're calling back.

Fished this morning and caught about a 12lb Spring and released it. It looked a little slow from what I saw in the morning? LOTS of boats out though......fishing all the usual spots along the beach. Went back out early afternoon with the wife.....kids and MOTHER-IN-Law for a little fishing. Starting trolling just past the Rock Pile and we had 4 fish on in 45 mins and boated two. They were 32lbs and 35lbs. The larger one was a white spring.....for what it's worth. It was an unreal hour of fishing and just hit it right I guess. And best of all......my mother-in-law found out why they are called "knuckle-busters!" lol Out again in the morning and plan on hitting the bank for some Hali's. Tight-Lines!

awsome weekend for our crew on sat and a very windy sun. our 2 fish that were 30+ were pulled out of eastpoint on the afternoon change. camper ,logan seemed to hold smaller fish for us. we also were witness to a lone cuttplugger in a 16ft alumn play and land 2 hogs on sun in wind that had to be 20-25mph w/swell, chop, ect at e.point.....nice to see !!

bank was great yesterday, limit for 3 guys on springs and hatchery hoes in about an hour (probably 8-10 wilds to 1 hatchery was hooked though)
beach sounded great in the morning till about 10am, then slowed down a bit but fish were hitting all day on the radio.

anchored up for halibut, 5 hours later i had 1 14lb snapper in the boat and that was it. dead slow around me, and this was the same place i was nailing them 2 weeks ago - but there was next to zero current happening so the scent wasnt getting out there.

and dead calm water! it was like a lake out there. very nice to see

Up for 4 days last week and the inshore fishing was nothing short of phenominal.

Double digit hookups every morning with Walbran being the hottest.

All fish in the high twenties and thirties were whites.

No Bananas Trevor report on facebook (sorry for repost, but too good not to pass along)
"Wow what a day on the water!!! Flat calm warm and a all day bite on the beach!!! Did a quick charter from 530-10 am and limited out by 8 am then back at it 11-330 had two triple headers a double and some singles mixed in!!" Wow....gotta get up there!

East Point Zoo!

Fishing was great at East Pt.,Renfrew, but trying to work your way into any kind of rotation was near impossible. Seemed to be five guys trying to fit into a spot at a time. Not a lot of room. Was pushed into the kelp a number of times both by public and charter boats. I expect it on the Fraser sockeye bars, but not out here. Wasn't fun, but yes lots of fish.

Hey MB, you need to get an aluminum boat then push right back :) So I hear you and Alberta Doug had a good day for halibut, a couple of highliners!

Hauler
That would probably help! lol or maybe just surround my boat with bumpers, then boom right thru. I always enjoy going to the banks. Had fun with Doug, he is such a good guy. The salmon fishing was slow though and certainly nothing big, but it was cool to get a hali double header. Learned a lot, need to try the anchoring myself.

By the way what kind of rope do you use for your anchoring system? I can't afford to go all out like AD. What would average be?

When you fish East Point, exactly where do you fish, Tight in, 60 feet, around the corner to the point and on to the next point or near the shallows after the point?

I think I jinxed myself, excitedly passing on great Beach reports. We got skunked today, fishing East Point, then Camper to Walbran, 6am-noon. I heard there was a good snap at Walbran 12-3, shoulda stuck it out for another hour! Super cold in the fog, felt like winter. And yes, East Point was crowded. Virtual guarantee tomorrow will be going off, bite all day (with us not there ;-)

East Point today.

It was foggy, cold, windy and crowded at East Pt today. Was going to run up the coast, but decided a nap was a better idea. Hope everyone leaves some fish for next week. Have fun.

Back