Port Renfrew Reports -- Spring and Summer 2011

I was haly fishing off carmanah light. Wow thats good reception. How fishin ur way ? It just died a couple days ago very few haly and fewer salmon.

Fished all last week up till this Tuesday. Spent half the time fishing the beach and the other half out at the Ranch and J Bouy like a lot of guys on this forum. Saturday was great out there and the fishing was good as well. Lots of bait as most of you know that have been out. I wonder how good the fishing would have been without the commercial opening out there? It was good to see some good numbers offshore and try out some of the new spoons and plugs. Beach fishing was OK just nothing big for me. Mostly around the 20 mark and most fish came right after the tide change. Caught most of the fish around the waterfall to the rock pile and even managed a double header last week alone so that was a good way to start off the year for me after a long winter up north........keep up the reports boys!

Got to go out with juandesooka and a couple others on his buddy Blair's boat of Swell Time....great day out there Sunday - seas were mean on the way out for sure with big 8' swells. Made me regret the breakfast burrito I had, but as soon as we dialed in the springs, I was able to shake that quick. Out to the banks (NE area I think?) and was hitting the springs on most passes, 120-180 feet on plastic and spoons. Nothing huge, but the range was 8 to 20 lbs with an even mix of wild and hatchery...then the seas and the stomach settled and the sun came out, so we went to finish out for halibut off from J buoy - consistent action - also 8 to 20lbs - I had a nice one one that barely even let me get the rod out of the holder as it pounded on it so hard - tried to work it over for a few minutes but it got off (apparently a few around 40 were coming in from there). Packed it in late in the day to a trap full of crabs and finally finished up the day 17 hours later (wakeup, drive, boat, fish, boat, clean, drive, process)....all worth it on a great boat with a guy that knew his stuff. Sounds like still not too much happening at the beach.
Think JDS should have a video of our day coming shortly!

Last edited by a moderator:
Big thanks to Hurston and Quin for the 3 days ( one day until sunset ) from the guys at Tunkwa Lake. Fantastic guys who made the best out of each day to find fish from the beach to the ranch, reading tides, current, bait fish, weather and the best part is the way the guides out of Port Renfew work together as a team! Great accommodations next to the beach.
One should see John move to a pulsating rod, WOW, also the half eaten sandwiches all over the place when the bite was on Saturday on the ranch, lol.

A 55 lb chicken and a 33lb Spring sure can smoke a reel!

Thank You Port Renfew

RB

IMGP0610.jpg

IMGP0595.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy Crap Man! Leave some for the rest of us! Just Kidding. Nice Job. Good to see there's some great fishing still out there.

Fishing in reny was decent today. Fished springs off logan for a few hours first thing and hit 3 springs largest was high 20's also caught lots of coho all4-6lbs funny thing was every one was a hatch job. Moved down to bonilla and set the pic for haly in 90ft of water and it was boiling with coho 5 hrs of straight coho on the suface so we jigged them up all day while we picked up the odd haly. out of about 30 coho's we had at the side of the boat every one was a hatch.

the boys that were out at the bank had a good day with limits of springs and haly in short order .lots of 20pd plus offshore as well as a 40 out there also. Still tons of crabs. I'd say it's good fishing on the beach and excellent offshore!

Great report! I can't wait to get back in another few weeks. Good to see the fishing is picking up a bit along the beach.

I am so looking forward to the Coho on the trout rods.... I missed them today. but we did get that nice 36 spring and what a fight. On fire I would say

Thanks Rich, see you guys soon in Tunkwa or in Aug

Big thanks to Hurston and Quin for the 3 days ( one day until sunset ) from the guys at Tunkwa Lake. Fantastic guys who made the best out of each day to find fish from the beach to the ranch, reading tides, current, bait fish, weather and the best part is the way the guides out of Port Renfew work together as a team! Great accommodations next to the beach.
One should see John move to a pulsating rod, WOW, also the half eaten sandwiches all over the place when the bite was on Saturday on the ranch, lol.

A 55 lb chicken and a 33lb Spring sure can smoke a reel!

Thank You Port Renfew

RB

IMGP0610.jpg

IMGP0595.jpg

It doesn't get much better than that!! Unless they were passing out free beers??? lol Has the Hali fishing picked up as well?

keep up the good reports! I'm going to be out for the long weekend thurs-sat. Say hi if you see me - expensive hooker.

Back