Port Renfrew 2009 Season

Had a halli trip today it was good fishing off nitnat with fish up to 60lbs sitting in 6 to 8 footers all day wasn't the most fun though.
Salmon was hot very early on the top end of the flood current then it went slow with one here one there.

I noticed Bananas that in the early morning around 5 am is the first part of the ebb and the change to flood is around noonish. Is it worth working the end of the ebb/early flood tide?

5:00 am is the first part of the ebb tide but the current is still on a hard flood = good fishing until the current stops.There will be a couple fish on that noon change but things wont get rollin again until the current change probably around 2 hope this helps.

quote:Originally posted by nedarb2

quote:Originally posted by Charlie

Is there anychance of finding moorage out there for late july through all august?
Yep! :)

haha where? i got the feeling the marina was packed full
Both the Marina and Pacheedat are first come, first serve. You can't make reservations even if you wanted to. Been there... done that! But, between the two you shouldn't have any problem.

Spent the last week at Renfrew hit the water three times, got two 12lb springs off Camper and lots of crabs. Most boats seemed to be picking a salmon off here and there, but I did'nt see any big ones caught. Nice and shallow just like August. Probably would have caught more but the trips were short with my five and three year old kids but they had a blast! I'm training them early and they are already awesome in the boat, can't wait till they are strong enough to bring one in on their own. I'm gonna try them on some pinks this summer.

Is there anychance of finding moorage out there for late july through all august?
Yep! :)

haha where? i got the feeling the marina was packed full
Both the Marina and Pacheedat are first come, first serve. You can't make reservations even if you wanted to. Been there... done that! But, between the two you shouldn't have any problem.

thanks guys, looking forward to it :D

going to renfrew tommorow any advice on hali fishing between the carmanah closure and the bank.....or should i go to nitinat?

thx

siwash

it probably is better just outside the deep hole off nitnat but most of the time it doesnt really matter. you can usually catch fish all along there from 150-220 feet

Friends were out crabbing on the weekend - looks pretty good to me!
crabbing.jpg

Hey Jackel how are you going to get your boat out once the nob puts his boat in lol have fun with that.

Oh ya by the way halli fishing has been very good so far this week lots of numbers,and the nicest calmest water i've ever seen up there.

thinking of heading to alberni for some sockey on the weeknd of the 20th of june... however, port renfrew is always a good attraction as there may be more action to be had (salmon, cod, hali, crabs). what do ya recommend, worth alberni? or hit renfrew hard?

4 just spit the hook and 2 straightened out gamy trebles which i'm never using again one of the fish we landed straightened one out to but was hooked with the trailer to.

ya no kidding - 3 straightened hooks in one morning is not good - maybe a bad batch of hooks but maybe you should use your palm instead of the real drag, way more control.

Back