Port Renfrew 2009 Season

quote:Originally posted by LastChance

quote:Originally posted by Kramer

How far of a run is it from Sooke to Renfrew?

One to one and a half hours. Right now, it's exactly the same fishing as Sooke, stick around local, or better yet, Oak Bay has been very good.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

Thanks LC. I'm planning on heading to Renfrew for a few days from 7/10-7/13. Looking to put a few halis in the box and maybe some springs if they cooperate.

quote:Originally posted by highlights

yeah and thats why I always toss the pick and stay out in open water vs. hitting the campsites. I hate getting stuck in the morning and not being able to get out when you want to.

Mind you it can be unerving at the best of times out in Renfrew. Those nights can get a little bumpy and the thought of ending up on shore keeps me up most of the night.

What do ya think about the lows this coming weekend? I draft 2.6' Would you stay on the hook? where do you like to stay when you're on the hook?

Good question. I'll be staying aboard when I'm out that way next month and would be interested to hear opinions on where it is best to anchor. Is camper protected enough to anchor there? Never been all the way into that bay.

Stay in any of the little nooks within the Port of Sa Jaun basin itself. There are some great little areas that block almost all wind from all directions.

Anchoring out at Camper would not be something I would take a chance on. It's one thing to throw down a Scottsman and lead during the day. But sleeping on an anchor, well thats a differant story. No real need to anchor out in open water. The spots inside the bay are so easy to use and are close to the hotspots that I wouldn't go any where else. Course I won't tell you my favourite spot because it holds only two boats with the proper amount of rhode out.
Have fun finding a spot that suites you best!
I know I will never stay at the campsite. I love anchoring for a few days at a time. Good fun.

HL

quote:Originally posted by Charlie

quote:Originally posted by Sammy Hooker

Hi, Charlie, great info. Do ya think there'll be enough to get out by 5am this weekend 20th & 21st? I draft 2.6ft. Thanks!
Coming from the marina? NO!
I be on the hook at Thrasher!

If you have not been there before... I "highly" suggest you follow someone out the first time!

I personally would not</u> anchor at Camper! It is only 5 miles from Thrasher to Camper and Thrasher is much more protected! But, what the hey... I am a "whimp" when it comes to anchoring in unprotected waters! [:I]

You can pretty much anchor anywhere in Port San Juan bay, but most anchor at Thrasher Cove (on the north side) or NE of the floats @ the Community Dock (on the south side).

I am 30 feet and weight is about 14,000 pounds. I draft 1' 8" ft. You have a draft of 2.6 ft? That's a pretty big draft for a fishing boat, what kind of boat do you have? [?]

Here is the link to tide charts from DFO's website!
http://www.waterlevels-niveauxdeau.gc.ca/cgi-bin/tide-shc.cgi

It's a 290 Wellcraft, and I suppose the 2.6' is with the o/b's all the way down. I can't seem to find Thrasher Cover on the NOAA/Sat. map. Is it just along the north edge of the harbor?

You da man!!! :D Thanks a bunch! Now if we can just find the fish this weekend. Tight lines [8D]

If anybody is out tomorrow, watch for the North Western (from deadliest catch) its leaving seattle in the am on the way up to alaska!

she will have to be steaming along pretty good to make 'er from seattle past renfrew by afternoon... [:p]

The alaskan crabbers used to travel up and down the outside of the island in the '80's. No idea whether they still do.
T2

No Rigours

Fished sunday on the bank-nabbed a 35 and a 50 hali,1 small spring.The coho were thick</u>out there!
monday we rubbed the beach for the morning.1 strike,then nothing.Didn't sound like the springs were around much but some did well.Crab trap came up loaded!threw back two and kept the rest for our limit of twelve.
Tuesday was another bank trip-this time a 50 and a 70lb hali, no springs but again lots of coho.Another full trap pulled out of San Juan.
All in all a great trip if it weren't for losing the truck keys!Note to all- truck keys dont belong on the boat!

Hooch
swiftsurehaliaug07-1.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Hoochiebob

Fished sunday on the bank-nabbed a 35 and a 50 hali,1 small spring.The coho were thick</u>out there!
monday we rubbed the beach for the morning.1 strike,then nothing.Didn't sound like the springs were around much but some did well.Crab trap came up loaded!threw back two and kept the rest for our limit of twelve.
Tuesday was another bank trip-this time a 50 and a 70lb hali, no springs but again lots of coho.Another full trap pulled out of San Juan.
All in all a great trip if it weren't for losing the truck keys!Note to all- truck keys dont belong on the boat!

Hooch

Thanks for the report & nice fish!! Good job [8D] Hope to see ya out there this weekend.

Is there a particular area to look for Coho out on the bank?

Last year I went out twice to fish Coho, and missed them only to find people Halibut fishing somewhere else on the bank reporting they were so dense they couldn't get their bait down.

heading up there tonite.
leaving from sooke.
never fished up this way,and ive read every post on this topic.
looks like hali an coho for me an ill try springs aswell..
im guessing the bank for hali mabe camper creek for coho?

should i pack the same gear that i use down here?

anyone that could help with areas,depths and bait would help alot..this will be the big trip for me this year.. (thanks for fathers day)
cheers boys
baz

Back