Port Renfrew 2009 Season

Hally fishing was good this weekend off the lighthouse.Salmon was quite a bit slower but there was some size 45,42 and a few in the 30's brought in.

I've fought quite a few fish even though i'm not that old I guided in Ucluelet for a summer and the charlottes for another and I know how much pressure a hook can hold either way I bought all new hooks today costs to much to get out there and loose fish that way.... tight lines everyone, hopefully up renfrew way in a few weeks

When I first tried trebles, I started with gammy 1/0's, and they sucked. I bent the first out on the hook set, and naturally was pissed. I babied the second one big time and could not believe it bent. Freakin embarrassing in front of guests but they saw I babied the second and didn't give me a hard time. Anyways stay away from them. Although they do have those 4x strong ones now, I'm sure they're fine.

June 10/09 Port Renfrew Marina Report
June 10th, 2009

Following the fantastic May Chinook fishing Port Renfrew Marina is seeing typical early June results. Quality size big springs are hitting the docks but not in great numbers yet. Spoons and anchovy are what has been working at a depth of 37 feet generally. We have seen 2 springs that have made the over 40 board already this year, one caught June 5 and the other June 6th.

Notable catches of Springs:

* Is. Outfitters 36
* Stan Robertson 35
* Eric Eckdahl 35
* Luke Bertrand 25
* Dan Harvey 45.5
* Keith Cook 42

Keith with a 42 pound spring salmonHalibut fishing is good though the big barn doors are harder to find. The calm seas have helped anglers to catch their limit of chickens, always a nice size for eating. Ken Gillard caught a 70 pound Halibut on June 10th on a coyote spoon and had to net it. A really amazing story though is on June 9th Randall Pruden and Carl Hien were fishing just west of Camper Creek for springs. They were using Purple Haze hoochies and barbless hooks when they knew they had a big one. It didn’t take very long for them to realize it wasn’t a spring but a Halibut. They could tell it was very big but had no idea it was a 120 pounder! They didn’t have a gaff or spear so they ended up bringing it in with a net! They had to keep bending it to the right shape to get the fish in. How they kept a halibut that big on the line and got it in is what everyone wants to know! Apparently you don’t have to go 25 miles out to sea to get the big ones!

Crabbing is still excellent with everyone catching their limits. They are getting larger and meatier and very sweet. Hard to compare the crab of Port Renfrew to any other crab!

Port Renfrew Marina now has all our garbage cans enclosed in heavy duty chain link fencing to keep the bears at bay. We are hoping this will discourage them for coming into the campground and look elsewhere for food. We are trying to take every measure to reduce the bear activity around the marina so please do your part. Please be careful about leaving fish and food stuffs around your campsite and boat and remove all your garbage to the cans.

Please note: To our complete frustration our ATM is still not working and we are hoping it may be in order by this weekend. If you are planning a trip to the marina soon please come prepared and bring cash. We apologize for any inconvenience and are working hard to get this problem resolved.

For anyone interested the marina now offers a seasonal launch for the boater who doesn’t leave his boat in the water. The cost is $100.00 for the season. Please check the Rates page for any changes in the rates.

If you are a past seasonal customer and haven’t contacted us regarding your spot you will now have lost your claim for your spot. It is assumed you are no longer interested in it. If anyone is wanting a seasonal spot there are still some available.

Bud & Rex

Twins I was there on sunday, fished from 7:30-2:30 - a couple of bumps and one ratty coho for the effort, not much bait showing either.

We saw one net out the whole day and it looked to be around 10lbs.

Hi guys planning a trip to Renfrew on Monday June 22nd , the tide is fairly low in the early AM and I'm wondering what it's going to be like putting my boat in at the native ramp and getting out over the bar. Am I going to have a problem or is it just a problem coming down the channel from the marina. I know a 3' low is the lowest you can come from there. Tide is a 1.6' at 6am from my charts.

Was there from the 10th to the 13th , finally met "bananas" by the way , ended up with two springs 12 and 10lbs ...... only saw 3 others taken .
Fished 27 to 39 ft , tried a variety of gear , 3 strikes and two fish only for approx 15 hrs on the water , both fish hit anchovy in JDF army truck chrome heads on 6ft leaders behind green Hot Spot flashers , speed over water was consistent at 2.8 mph against the tide both times , fish came from the rock pile and Cullet Bay off the kelp bed , saw Killer Whales afternoon of the 12th.

AL

The tides do seem low around the morning of 22nd. While the native launch by passes the shallow channel for the size of this tide it will be shallow just past the docks towards the sand bar. Once you get passed this section you will be fine if you stay near the rocky shoreline as you pass the bar. I think it will be touch and go though making it through at a 1.6 ft in any moderate size boat, e.g. > 18 ft, even launching at the native ramp. I think you may need to get out at day break using the native launch to have any chance of getting out in the am.

yeah and thats why I always toss the pick and stay out in open water vs. hitting the campsites. I hate getting stuck in the morning and not being able to get out when you want to.

Mind you it can be unerving at the best of times out in Renfrew. Those nights can get a little bumpy and the thought of ending up on shore keeps me up most of the night.

Thanks Charlie , great post . I might just try my luck at Sooke instead as I have a couple newbies with me. Although Sooke may have low water issues as well ???
M.

Maybe a stupid question but where do you fish in oak bay? Never fished there before.....I might just run there from sidney.

Cheers

Thanks for all the info.

Coming from the marina... NO WAY! You will be able to walk it and not get your feet wet!

Hmmm... the native ramp, maybe? I have never used it and I don't know your draft? I draw 1'8"! I don't know what chart you are looking at, but you might want to look at the one below? Based on it, I not only wouldn't, but couldn't get over the sand bar at the mouth! salmon9 is correct there is more water if you stay closer to the rocks on the north side, but I know I won't make it and don't think there will be enough for you to get through, after 6:00 am? [:I]

Hi, Charlie, great info. Do ya think there'll be enough to get out by 5am this weekend 20th & 21st? I draft 2.6ft. Thanks!

Back