Port Hardy / Winter Harbour / North Island Report - Spring and Summer 2011

If you know what you are doing, you can make it to Shadwell in a 16ft whaler... but it will not be comfortable. Goletas can pound your guts out in a small boat Be very careful on the Nahwitti bar-- big tides and opposing winds can make it treacherous .

Looks like a strong south easterly wind for this weekend. Shadwell looks like a bad idea, can you fish in the harbour? I see the small rca, looks like the best side to hide from a SE wind would be Masterman to peel island side. I'm going now regardless any sugestions? Is their a boat launch on the south side directly into beaver harbour?
Fricken wind!

You will find that in the morning you can fish Duval and the Mastermans until 11 or so. The wind will start to come up through out the day and if it is the SE, then the Mastermans will be OK.

You can launch from the Bear Cove boat launch just before the ferry, easy run out to the grounds from there. It is a free launch, but there is no cleaning table and the odd time vehicles get vandilized, so make sure you lock your vehicle up.

Right now it is only calling for 10-15 switching to 20 SE, so you should be Ok for the morning.

Good luck

Cheers

SS

Thanks again Sitka, you are always helpfull when it comes to the north island, I appreciate it. Last year I was worried about a gail warning in Mc Neill and it turned out to be the best conditions I have ever fished flat calm and sunshine. Thanks again.

I know what you mean... We were up there a couple of weeks back and was calling for a 10-15 but we got caught in some ugly weather. 4-5' rollers with a NW in front of double bay resort from Pearson Island... Was nasty. Speed was 8mph... Took it easy and got home... Should of stayed on the south side of Hansen.

Cheers, Rob

Thanks again Sitka, you are always helpfull when it comes to the north island, I appreciate it. Last year I was worried about a gail warning in Mc Neill and it turned out to be the best conditions I have ever fished flat calm and sunshine. Thanks again.

A buddy might take me over to Winter Harbour for a trip. (1st time for me) What winds should I watch out for? SE? NW?

Thanks, Rob

Locally out of Hardy has been very good as of late. Duval and Daphnie have been pumping out some big fish. My buddy text me from Duval yesterday with a picture of a 31.5 he jut put in the boat. Have not heard of anything coming off of Castle but have heard of a few coming off of Masterman. Not looking like a great weekend weather wise, some pretty winds.

Dumb question I have never fished Duval how far a run is it from the Quarterdeck? Time and distance roughly?

About three nautical miles to Duval and 2 nautical miles to Daphne, just over three to Mastermans.

Duval is on the north west of Hardy Bay and Daphne and Mastermans are on the north east of Hardy Bay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya, I hope to get out to Duval this weekend. Glad to hear there are some big fish being caught out there. Hope it's not too windy, at least for the morning fish, as I'm only in a 14 foot lifetimer.

Burnsy22

I was not out this week, but heard it was hit and miss.

Fish are around, but it is scratch fishing. One day they are in one spot, the next they are someplace else. A friend picked up a couple nice fish at Flower yesterday and lost a nother one. There is coho around and a few pinks are starting to show up, plus the odd sockeye.

The tides look good for bottom fishing this week.

Off the rest of the week chasing fish, will post up if any new info.

Cheers

SS

Fished Duval this weekend. Fishing was OK. Caught a couple small keeper springs and a few coho. Lots of humpys around, so fishing bait was expensive. Weather was awesome, and got a wicked whale show heading out on saturday monrning, with a couple of humbacks breaching and tail slapping in the bay. All in all all a pretty fun weekend!

been out over the weekend and it was hot for us on sunday. got into 3 springs 20lbs, lost 2 bigger ones, including a serious hog at black bluffs. another 7 or so pinks and coho. went out to the banks and got limit of small hali - salmon were from black bluffs to malcolm point. today, only thing hot was the afternoon sun. early bite at bluffs got us a 6 lb coho and a 16 lb spring, then it went dead for rest of day. nothing from there to lizard. whales moved through in waves today.

Couple Decent Hali's

We didn't do quite as well as I expected on the Salmon, although we did get a few smaller springs and a limit of both Coho and Lingcod. The Halibut fishing was very good, we managed a 102 lber, 60 lber, and a couple smaller ones between the four of us....

IMG_2170.jpgIMG_2190.jpg

Heading up to Sointula for a week starting this Friday. Really looking forward to the break, and to getting into some proper fishing. The few reports comming in make it sound a little scratchy. But I've got a week, and I don't want to fill up too fast.

Back