Port Alberni Advice....

Baxter

Going to try fishing Port Alberni for the first time ever on Saturday. Have a couple questions.

Is there any point in trying for halibut/Ling in the channel, or do you have to go way out for it? What about Crabs? Should I bother with bringing traps? Will be targeting salmon, but may as well try for other stuff also.

I have some Intel on location, lures, depths, and all that. So not looking for any honey-holes, but willing of course to hear what anyone has to say.

Also any advice on staying safe in there? I have heard to expect a lot of debris in the water and dead heads etc, so will be extra careful on that front, but any specific hazards that I should be aware of as a first-timer?

One piece of advice I’d give. If you’re running the inlet to get to the the sound or outside, depending on the size of your boat, be wary of the afternoon winds that occur in the inlet.

The winds generally come up most days in the early afternoon. I used to travel the inlet a lot years ago, I had a few hair raising rides through there. The general goal was to get through the inlet in the morning.

One piece of advice I’d give. If you’re running the inlet to get to the the sound or outside, depending on the size of your boat, be wary of the afternoon winds that occur in the inlet.

The winds generally come up most days in the early afternoon. I used to travel the inlet a lot years ago, I had a few hair raising rides through there. The general goal was to get through the inlet in the morning.
In the past I would say to target ling and Hali you need to get out into more open water. Rocky bottom ocean facing shoreline for lingers. Sandy bottom shallowing bump for Hali.

not in the channel.

I pulled a nice Ling across from Mactush. That was 25 years ago though...

They for sure used to be there. My brother used to ride his bike to China Creek and fish for Lings off the log booms when he was a teen. But that was the early 1960’s. lol
Imagine a kid out on the log booms fishing solo now, eh? Not gonna happen. All the fun is gone. ;-)

They for sure used to be there. My brother used to ride his bike to China Creek and fish for Lings off the log booms when he was a teen. But that was the early 1960’s. lol
Imagine a kid out on the log booms fishing solo now, eh? Not gonna happen. All the fun is gone. ;-)
I saw a couple kids under ten ripping around in a 9.9 powered zodiac in Bamfield. Blew my mind. Times have changed for sure!

I saw a couple kids under ten ripping around in a 9.9 powered zodiac in Bamfield. Blew my mind. Times have changed for sure!
lol. that is Hudson and Ryker. their dad matt is a top rod in bam. 6 and 8 years old. landing chinooks at the wall!! the way kids used to grow up. they go out with dad often and compete for who can land the biggest hali or chin. love seeing them out. they both have inspected my boat, grilling me on gear and leader lengths and lb test. heard huddy say, inadequate. lolEDE0E02F-46F8-4B53-A49D-6C4380E2E0DA.jpg

Last edited:
lol. that is Hudson and Ryker. their dad matt is a top rod in bam. 6 and 8 years old. landing chinooks at the wall!! the way kids used to grow up. they go out with dad often and compete for who can land the biggest hali or chin. love seeing them out. they both have inspected my boat, grilling me on gear and leader lengths and lb test. heard huddy say, inadequate. lol
Those kids are awesome! Gonna be top Rods themselves in no time!

lol. that is Hudson and Ryker. their dad matt is a top rod in bam. 6 and 8 years old. landing chinooks at the wall!! the way kids used to grow up. they go out with dad often and compete for who can land the biggest hali or chin. love seeing them out. they both have inspected my boat, grilling me on gear and leader lengths and lb test. heard huddy say, inadequate. lolView attachment 69424

That’s good stuff. Exactly how I was raised.

What kind of boat will you be fishing out of and where are you staying? Just a day trip or longer?

What kind of boat will you be fishing out of and where are you staying? Just a day trip or longer?
Just for the day. Launching super early, will leave when we get our limit!! ;) (or are just done!)

Fishing my bio pic (Kingfisher 1825)

Likely will just stick around China Creek, but may run out to pill point or other spots in that area if we feel up to it and conditions are decent. Lots of advice sending us over there, but may not want to do an hour run each way.

Just for the day. Launching super early, will leave when we get our limit!! ;) (or are just done!)

Fishing my bio pic (Kingfisher 1825)

Likely will just stick around China Creek, but may run out to pill point or other spots in that area if we feel up to it and conditions are decent. Lots of advice sending us over there, but may not want to do an hour run each way.
I would go to Pill if it were me. I fished an evening high tide at Pill last weekend and hammered them. Maybe it’s just me but I find they are more on the bite in the sound. Golden Nugget coho killer and yellow/silver skinny g with long leaders were the ticket.

Attachments

• 3B4B4AAF-DD42-4F11-B2B6-39C02EF2EFA8.jpeg
    3B4B4AAF-DD42-4F11-B2B6-39C02EF2EFA8.jpeg
    345.5 KB · Views: 56
I would go to Pill if it were me. I fished an evening high tide at Pill last weekend and hammered them. Maybe it’s just me but I find they are more on the bite in the sound. Golden Nugget coho killer and yellow/silver skinny g with long leaders were the ticket.
How long is the run typically? I can estimate based on distance, but unsure what the conditions to run out there are typically like.

Boat can do 60, but I tend to keep it around 45km/h max (puts me at around 4500 rpm), but does that water typically allow for going that fast or should I expect rougher water and a slower run?

If it wasn't for the scenery in the sound, and all I wanted was fish, there is no way I would bother running past China Creek at this time of the year.
My 2 cents (posting post 1 glass of wine lol)

Was at pill yesterday and it was good. Tubbed out quickly and lost a couple big ones . I’ve been fishing the inlet the last week or so and what I’ve noticed is it turns off about 8-9am . Best bet would be to fish the inlet from sun up till 830 and head down to pill or assits .

Back