Pods and trailering question

MGH

Am seriously thinking of adding a pod to get rid of old stern drive. Does the trailer have to be modified to handle the weight being moved further back. Seems to me the pod and engine would tip the weight factor tail heavy and light on the tongue. Not a problem in the water as the pod has floatation. Maybe have to move axles back some. Hate seeing trailers sway down the road and dangerous too. Anybody know?
Mike

I am not sure a person could answer this definitively until the new rig is on the trailer and you check tongue weight and balance. My GUESS is that the weight will be shifted back from the current location which will lessen tongue load and increase the tendency to sway. Easiest way would be to move the winch post forward if you have room. Moving axles is a p.i.t.a (tho not difficult).

I/O's weight more than outboards to begin with. More weight forward or less farther back almost balances out. I keep my trailer's rear set of rollers within 3-4 inches of the transom for maximum support. I then moved the axles to give me the correct tongue weight. That is the proper way to set up the trailer.

Only way to know is when it's on the trailer.Take it to a scale and see what the tongue weight is. Adjusting the bogie's is a little time consuming but not that bad. I would move the bogie's back as far as I could so that the most acceptable tongue weight for the type of truck I was driving was obtained..

Looks like the consensus in! Wait and see what needs to be adjusted. Adjusting position of axles don't look that hard. Maybe i should be more concerned with that engine bouncing on the end of the pod. That has got to be a lot of stress. Thanks guys
Mike

Am seriously thinking of adding a pod to get rid of old stern drive. Does the trailer have to be modified to handle the weight being moved further back. Seems to me the pod and engine would tip the weight factor tail heavy and light on the tongue. Not a problem in the water as the pod has floatation. Maybe have to move axles back some. Hate seeing trailers sway down the road and dangerous too. Anybody know?
Mike

I moved my axles back 8"s when I podded my boat, aswell slide the bunks back to hit the butt end of the boat just befor the T tabs. Every boat is different though.

Back