Pocket cruiser for fishing

Mo

see a lot of guys running pocket cruisers for fishing , is there a layout that works well and which brand / model. 26-30' trailer-able.

Hi Moe
I run a 2000 Bayliner 2455, with the 5.0L merc. It's a great weekender boat, can catch fish, and is easy to trailer. 3 adults can fish comfortably but gets crowded with 4. The rear seat drops down out of the way so there is room to play fish and work the riggers. A lot of the newer models have molded seats in the back end, which don't fold out of the way. Anyways, I really enjoy fishing and cruising in my boat. It does enough for me, however a Cutwater or 30' Grady would be nice too. :)

Reactions: Mo
Check out the bayliner 2556.

I fished off a buddy's this summer and they have a great big open fishing platform and can easily sleep 4 adults.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mo
Do you run a kicker off the swim platform
Thanks
if your running a single main it's a good idea to have a small kicker on the transom as backup just incase...

I have a 33' chris craft - a bit larger than you want - BUT I highly recommend a boat with inboards & straight shafts for fishing. If you go this route, make sure that trolling valves are either already installed or that the gearbox accepts trolling valves. As for makes, either a 28 Uniflite mega or a 26 - 28 ft Tollycraft come to mind.

I used to own a Bayliner 2455 Ciera Sunbridge. The old Bayliners were way larger than the current ones, as the new ones now include the bowsprit and swim grid in the length designation. It came with a 305 that I upgraded to a 350 for power. It had a huge bed mid ship and a large V berth that converted to a bed as well, so it had tons of sleeping room. It was the upper limit of a boat I'd want to use for fishing, but it caught fish like crazy.

One thing I've noticed with small cruisers for fishing is the overhead issues. Awnings and/or upper decks that extend well aft make for nice shade and weather protection, but they can make it difficult to play and net fish. Just keep that in mind when you're shopping around.

The bayliner 246 also called 247 has a really nice layout.. Cdory also builds a nice pocket cruiser for fishing just harder to find

JAC, the 246 (2007 version) is also called the 266 (2009 version) , at least in the Discovery series. Not sure if this is the same boat you are referring to, but it fits the bill. Bright berth with galley, dinette, stand up head, and an aft bunk for storage and extra sleeping. Sleeps 3 comfortably (or 2 couples) and 5 uncomfortably and has sufficient aft deck for fishing. It isn't a heavy deep V hull so it is easier on gas but doesn't cut through the chop when the wind blows up. The hard top doesn't get in the way of fishing, unless you are using light 10' rods.

JAC, the 246 (2007 version) is also called the 266 (2009 version) , at least in the Discovery series. Not sure if this is the same boat you are referring to, but it fits the bill. Bright berth with galley, dinette, stand up head, and an aft bunk for storage and extra sleeping. Sleeps 3 comfortably (or 2 couples) and 5 uncomfortably and has sufficient aft deck for fishing. It isn't a heavy deep V hull so it is easier on gas but doesn't cut through the chop when the wind blows up. The hard top doesn't get in the way of fishing, unless you are using light 10' rods.

Yes that's the hull I was thinking of . It's a pretty deep hull if you ask me and its 8000lbs dry weight so it's not a light weight.

17 degree dead rise and 6600# dry weight were the specs I found. She feels light for her size but I don't have a lot to compare it too.

Back