Pleasure Craft Licence

Gronk

Recently I was told it is now compulsory to carry your pleasure craft license on board at all times. Does anyone know if a photocopy is acceptable or only the real thing?

Photocopy is ok, as long as the numbers match the description of the
boat, you should be fine.
next year P.C.O. card is mandatory.
lot's of beurocracy to deal with !!!

fearnofishy-1-1.jpg

Got inspected by the RCMP a few weeks ago and they asked to see it since it is mandatory to have it on board. Not beeing able to produce it may ding $250 out of yo' wallet. I didn't have it and they only gave me a warning [8D]
Got it on the boat now.

cheers

gonefishingsign.gif

Hi Guys , You can have a photocopy of your boat license. but you need to have the original of your Pleasure Creaft Operators Card starting in 2009.

"If you were born before April 1, 1983 and operate a pleasure craft, fitted with a motor, that is 4 m and over in length, you will require proof of operator competency by September 15, 2009."

Proof of operator competency can be just a photocopy of your operator license. ie: if you have a 2 jet skis, a power boat and a powered dingy you can have a copy of your card in all 4 vessels while your original is safe at home. You will not need to carry your wallet while you are on a jet ski.

All the regulations ask for is proof of operator competency not the full card. I recommend that you photo copy your card and then take it to staples and pay the .25 to have it laminated.
So if you are on a 12 foot boat and are younger that 25 then you will need to produce "proof of competency" or risk the $250 fine.
FYI

Jeff

You're on the right track, but off topic.
the original post is regarding the "boat license" , not the
P.C.O. card.
you need to have the boat license now, and the p.c.o. card next year.

fearnofishy-1-1.jpg

been waiting for this thread, I have a 17.5 k&c that i have been working on for the past mth. it has never had a K #. do i have to have 1 for it. any help would be nice

Hey Clay, if your boat has an engine 10HP or larger you will need to
have it licenced. It is done through http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/
If the boat is new, you will need to have the bill of sale. If the boat is used you need to either supply the old licence, or a notorized letter stating that the licence has been lost etc. You will have to pay the tax on the purchase price of the boat. There is no fee to get the licence, but any outstanding taxes must be paid. All the info is on the website. Good Luck.

Thanks Sooke, I dont think the boat has ever had a licence its going to have a 70 yammi on it this weekend, the boat is a 93 it has the vin stamped on the stb side rear, do you know if I can run the number and find out-- clay

You can phone in the vin # to service canada, possibly the coast gaurd too. Even if it did have an old licence # "K#" you should
update to a BC # to keep all your info current with the coast gaurd,
in case of any emergencies on the water.

Sookeaholla mentioned “pay the taxes” My understanding is in the past this was true. The feds would tip off the provincial government and you would get a letter with the tax you owed. Then came the Privacy Act and the feds cannot tip them off. Bingo, no letter no tax. You still get dinged when you register the trailer for the first time but they don’t connect the two. I know of a couple of people that have recently (last year) registered their boats and have not received a tax bill.
GLG

quote:Originally posted by r.s craven

"boat license" , not the
P.C.O. card.

I always thought they were the same thing...

Whats the difference?

I'm not 100% certain, but you may need to consider GST when you get the number forthe boat.

I registered a boat last year and Service Canada asked me for the bill of sale, which in my case was from a broker and included the GST. If I had not paid the GST to a broker I think I may have had to pay the 5%.

I did not hear anything from the province. When I registered the trailer I had to produce the bill of sale again for the trailer only to show I had paid the PST on it. They did not care what I had on the trailer.

Has anyone registered a boat they bought privately with Service Canada and know for sure whether or not Service Canada collects the GST before they will issue the registration?

Also on the K numbers, if a boat has been previously registered you have the option of keeping the K number or getting a new BC number. They are the same as far as tracking your boat. When I got my MMSI number I filled the registration number on that form. Again I don't think it matters whether it is a K number or a BC number (or even a name you gave to the boat), as long as it provides identification. I understand that the Coast Guard has access to the information that you provided on the MMSI application, but do they have access to the registration number data base?

quote:Originally posted by Mongoose

quote:Originally posted by r.s craven

"boat license" , not the
P.C.O. card.

I always thought they were the same thing...

Whats the difference?

One is your operator's card (pco)

the other is a boat licence registered with Service Canada
the latter is the new system of linking boat and K numbers to
owner

fearnofishy-1-1.jpg

Back