PLB or EPIRB?

pescador

So my PLB is now 10 years old. Time to replace although it still works. With the cost of batteries it seems to be more sensible to buy a new one. So the question is what’s better an EPIRB or PLB? I like the idea of a PLB because I can carry it when I’m solo fishing or skiing Etc. So the question really is why buy an EPIRB when PLB’s do the same thing but are more compact?

I’m more worried about me or my body being recovered than the boat. So, if it’s one or the other, I’d rather have a PLB on me than an EPIRB on the boat.

Last edited:
The big difference between an epirb and a plb is transmitting time. For offshore cruisers that are headed hundreds or thousands of miles offshore an epirb provides several days of transmit power which is important for rescue that might take days.

The big difference between an epirb and a plb is transmitting time. For offshore cruisers that are headed hundreds or thousands of miles offshore an epirb provides several days of transmit power which is important for rescue that might take days.
Ya, ok larger battery I guess, more transmit time. A PLB will work fine then again.

Last edited:
Back