pinks

Sounds like there are pinks near the shore too. If you had 3 hours to fish with a couple kids and wanted them to catch lots - would you go out to the tide lines or stay in right now?

Anyone else try that googly eyed lure as well? Success rate compared to pink squirts?

It's a sockeye lure made in Port Hardy, deadly on pinks and sockeye.My buddies laughed at me when we used it on sockeye, then they borrowed all my spares.DAN

Was out yesterday afternoon at Beechy Head for about 2.5 hours. Finshed in close, mostly with spoons. Brought home 3 pink and threw back 3 others. Even caught one on a plug with no flasher!

I don't think it matters where you go, you will run into the pinks.

Well Dan, you were right - The googly eyed thing works!

Did exactly as you said - started to troll out to the states from Beechy Head - hit pinks 15mins in at the 2nd tide line, went to the 3rd tide line, started hitting them, then did figure 8's.
Wife and kid played 15, kept 8 (she doesn't have a license) in about 2 1/2 hours. Short sweet and lots of fish.

Out tommorrow with some friend so they can load up thier frezzer.

2MD

Hey 2muchdraft, where can you buy those lures around Comox, Striper Sniper

Glad it worked for you 2MD,Hope you all had fun.Weird looking thing isn't it?Finally got into some springs today,released 4 and kept 2,had a monster hit at Seceratary pulled the clip on the downrigger off and the rod tip into the water and ...gone bit the leader off clean.Oh well the big ones always get away,,, or do they?DAN

Thanks ME, lets get out fishing............ Striper Sniper

Spoons,squirts,bait-anything went today.Pink hoochie worked best for me.Out in the tidelines you could have used a coathanger and limited out.I did find though if you are targeting pinks the bigger ones are closer to shore.Word of warning-coho are rampant out in the tidelines too,and they are hungry(and mostly wild[V])

Of the 23 pinks that we brought in this weekend - the majority of them had a lot of sea lice on them - more than I've seen before. Where could these lice be coming from - from what I've heard, they come from passing near fish farms but would these pinks have been going by them? Thoughts?

Dan,

Those wild eyed googlys are weird looking. Which color combo on the link below are you using for pinks and sockeye?

http://www.lures.org/saltwater.htm

Slabby I use the gs001 for sockeye and pinks, and the gs007 for pinks.The yellow one doesn't always work on pinks, but some days you can't even sit down,they go mental for that colour.The Fraser river sockeye run really likes the oo1, and I found the big males really hammer it.Good luck with it.DAN

pinks in Sooke...I hear reports of 6-8lb average, but the largest of the 15 of so we hooked into yesterday was 5 lb. Did I just happen to hit a small school, or can you get better hookups for the larger ones with different lures or different speeds. I was strictly using pink squirts and mint tulip hootchie at around 3mph, and they were mostly 3-4lb.

Just curious!

Try purple haze hootchies or purple haze apexes we hit some razor backs out in 600 ft of water at 58 feet. all in the 7-9 pound range no flasher needed.

quote:Originally posted by Deewar25

pinks in Sooke...I hear reports of 6-8lb average, but the largest of the 15 of so we hooked into yesterday was 5 lb. Did I just happen to hit a small school, or can you get better hookups for the larger ones with different lures or different speeds. I was strictly using pink squirts and mint tulip hootchie at around 3mph, and they were mostly 3-4lb.

Just curious!
we never saw a pink over 4lbs in any of the ones we caught either.

quote:Originally posted by r.s craven

quote:Originally posted by Deewar25

we never saw a pink over 4lbs in any of the ones we caught either.

In all my life I've caught one Pink that weighed 8#, anyone who says they were catching Pinks 7-9# is completely FOS.[V]

Weighed our largest yesterday and it was 6 Lbs. Found a school of them yesterday @ 55-70 feet between Beechy and Bedfords. Supprised to see them so thick in close and so deep.

Haven't been out in a month - wanting to take a kid out that hasn't caught a fish before - is there any pinks left out there? Is it still the same as earlier (500'-550' in the top 50') or have the tacktics changed? Should I just target springs or ?

Back