Pinks on the fly.

I use a 7/8 weight single hand rod but I also use a spey rod from time to time, a 5 weight is way too lite. A fast sinking 9ft sink tip is key, since the water is pretty fast in the Campbell you need to get down to the bottom as fast as you can. I find that a small number 6 or 8 octopus circle hook with a little bit of green, blue and silver flashabou is the best fly for pinks in the Campbell.

I don't bother with them once they reach the river.....I figure if they have made it that far let them spawn.....plus they are not worth eating if they get too run down from the fight as well in my opinion.......for whatever that's worth. Haha

It depends.... some fish that I've caught in the Campbell still have sea lice on there bellies, some fish are chrome in the Campbell....

I used a switch 6/7 rod last year and found I was under gunned in Campbell River. Off the beach 7 wt is perfect for pinks/coho, but the river current adds a lot of power to any fish.
I use a type 3 sink tip or a clear tip off the beach , but a type 6 sink tip in the river.
Don

It depends.... some fish that I've caught in the Campbell still have sea lice on there bellies, some fish are chrome in the Campbell....

I agree,

Last year when they first hit the river all I caught were silvers and yes some had sea lice. They didn't seem to start turning until they'd been in the river a week or so. And the ones I kept seemed to taste just fine. personal taste I guess.

It also depends when you hit the river, if you fish it in late August, then they will be old and ugly, but if you show up around late July early August, most of the fish are bars of steel.

It also depends when you hit the river, if you fish it in late August, then they will be old and ugly, but if you show up around late July early August, most of the fish are bars of steel.

Is there any good beach fishing for pinks along the beach by the tyee club in early-mid July? In campbell river

Landed one pink out front of Neck Point/Rocky Point in Nanaimo this past Tuesday morning. It was right in tight to shore.

When they come into CR here, place I call the 'pinky hole' (infront of the heritage centre) I plan to hit them with my 5wt. I was gonna use a 7 but I checked it and theres a busted eye on it.

Should be fun.

I have seen some milling about when I went over the bridge today in CR. In riversportsman I was told that somebody has done a swim and come up with 6000 as a number.

If they're there, theres nobody fishing them. I did a double over the bridge today just to check if anyone was fishing. No one on the river at 5pm. I heard at the pier one was caught there today though.

A quick update, there are a few pinks in the Campbell river, not many yet. Also did a recce at Nile tonight, some nice cutties rolled over, two seals, no pinks. There have been a few there but its spotty yet. One guy said there were a few Pinks there last night. The main run should arrive within the next week. I bet by the 20th, "you'll have to hide behind a tree to tie your fly on! "

Can someone please tell me how to post pics on this forum....photobucket acct?

Cheers,

BL

Back