Pickled Salmon Recipe

Hey F A,
Those are 1 pint jars, packed loosely , approximately how many pounds was that in fish . I did close to that for jars and figured it was about 3 pounds skin off and filleted , lemon and onions added. Did ya try any with ginger and garlic? It's a nice touch. I never used to add the lemon but when you or Springfever said to try it, I did and man it's good so thanks for that .

H T

500ml bottles

I only did onion and pickling spice this time around.....

I measured nothing other then the brine.

I recall someone saying tuna needed to be salted for days. I don't think so..... It was harder then the salmon and halibut in the same amount of time.

Cant wait to try it :)

If it was kept in the fridge it's probably fine -but it is starting to deteriorate-taste it-as long as it hasn't gone soft or have an off flavour you're Ok but it is starting to get towards the end of its shelf life-use it soon. I've kept mine up to 6 months but better at 2 to 3 .

At this time of year Id just put it in my BBQ with the lid closed

ummmm what do you do when you want to BBQ?? ceviche salmon turns into bbq salmon too?? LOL you dont need to comment us down here in the southern end bbq year round....

Then there is me up here in Courteny hunting blacktail last week in camo shorts, sandals and a t-shirt :)

I don't need to stand beside a warm BBQ. LOL you don't need to reply :)

Well I just finished doing up 4 jars of salmon, 2 jars of halibut, and 3 jars of lingcod using that recipe on the IPHC site. I found the original on ifish and read the thread. I like how I could do it all in one night because you salt your cut up pieces for a short period of time. It was amazing how firm the pieces got in just 15 minutes. I cut them 1/4" thick. The part I didn't like was how long it took for the brine to cool lol. I'll make it a good hour before cutting up the fish next time. I'm going to let it sit a week before trying it. I'll report back after trying it :).

Put up 6 pints of salmon and one quart of just onions using Spring Fever's recipe...The onions were a shot in the dark-- but they came out great! My wife likes the onions better than the salmon (which is fine by me LOL ! )

Cracked a jar of salmon last night while visiting with the folks. The whole thing was gone in about 5 minutes! I'd say it was a hit :).

I haven't been able to keep up on production either, did another 8 500ml jars last week for xmas. I reckon it will last for about 3 days if I have it hidden and ration the crap out of it.

Have you found your self in front of a jar, thinking should I just finish it or save a bit for later :)

I think the wife going to make me buy another fridge to go with the ever growing collection of freezers....LOL

I haven't been able to keep up on production either, did another 8 500ml jars last week for xmas. I reckon it will last for about 3 days if I have it hidden and ration the crap out of it.

Lol. I just cracked another jar at work for the crew and it was gone in about 5 minutes with cream cheese and crackers. I think the rest of the jars are going to be gone really quick. I will have to do up some more tonight :).

Two words.....BIGGER JARS lol!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been making it in 1 litre yogurt containers and have more than once finished a whole tub in one sitting. I have made 8 tubs in the last month and only have 1 1/2 left. Only reason there a half is the wife got at that tub. I'll finish the other half for breakfast tomorrow.

Back