Pickled Salmon Recipe

this is making me hungry. I have never tried pickled salmon but am going to try this recipe. 2 questions, how much pickling spice do you use, and would some fresh dill be a nice addition to the recipe
Use 1/2 to 1 tspoon per 500 ml jar. I thought I would try one with dill but I wasn't going to combine it with pickle spice-just dill by itself as I thought the pickle spice might mask the dill.

I got inspired by this thread, my dad always made pickled salmon but I never have. Pickling Salted up some coho, red spring and white spring yesterday. They are pickling now. Let you know on the weekend how they turn out

I made tons of pickled herring in the past but have not made any in years,10-15. I used this recipe on a side of sockeye last Friday and just tried some this morning, just awesome. Thanks

I got inspired by this thread, my dad always made pickled salmon but I never have. Pickling Salted up some coho, red spring and white spring yesterday. They are pickling now. Let you know on the weekend how they turn out

Been over 2weeks now, how about some comments on how they turned out?

Hey bill, it's delicious but I think it needs to sit a bit longer yet......stay tuned

I can't stand the taste of the rind from the lemons and limes....... I have a gallon of pickled halibut and a gallon of pickled spring if you'd like some....... Next batch just onions :)

I didn't put any lemon in mine either.......but that was just because the gin and tonics used my stock up......what kind of flavour don't you like with the lemon Owen? I was going put lemon in next time. I do agree with the onion, can't put enough of that in, super delish

Spring Fever uses lemons and I knew he also tried lime leafs so I thought I'd use lemons and limes...... I can't stand the taste of rinds on a good day but on my fish..... No thanks,

Ill put together a bag for anyone wants to come sample some......

Next batch onions, peppercorns and a couple garlic gloves :)

We put acouple lemon slices in ours and it added anice flavor

Well took a jar of pickled salmon to work and coworkers went ape$hit over it......most notable was rockdog the (now) pickled salmon addict.....couldn't get enough, just hoovered it down his gullet. I just laughed but it was nice to get such a good response from the guys.

So thanks everyone, this ones a crowd pleaser

After sitting on the sidelines of this thread, I'm finally in. Got a batch brewing in the fridge as we speak.

For a guy that hasn't ever pickled a single vegetable, pickling salmon seems sketchy as all hell but I'm sure it'll be fine. I'm guessing it will take a good week before I have the courage to try mine.

Took 20 jars to Baja-so they are now 2 months old-lots of onions a little lemon-placed in some sour cream--UNBEATABLE!!!

Right on SF... Keep us up to date on your adventures down there will yah?
Jealous as hell...

Ok so I opened and tried my first batch of pickled salmon which I think is pretty good.

The surprising thing is that my 3 and 4 year olds think it's amazing and pretty much polished off a whole pint in one sitting. They are pretty adventurous eaters but even I didn't see that coming

Thanks for the tips F A and Springfever.

I did a few modifications to this recipe, being some was big spring, I salted heavy for two days, then soaked in water for 1/2 hour before cubing and making mixed brine.

I did add ginger and garlic along with the pickling spices too.
ITS TERRIFIC !!!!!

H T

Thanks for the tips F A and Springfever.

I did a few modifications to this recipe, being some was big spring, I salted heavy for two days, then soaked in water for 1/2 hour before cubing and making mixed brine.

I did add ginger and garlic along with the pickling spices too.
ITS TERRIFIC !!!!!

H T
Glad you liked it-Nice thing is if you stick to the basic recipe you can add a few different spices to individual jars to see if you like it-without wrecking the whole batch. It is definitely a crowd pleaser in Mexico-not many jars left so will try dorado or tuna.

And it happening...... Pickled Tuna & Pickled Salmon started for the holidays this afternoon

Halibut will be pickled tonight :)

image.jpg

Back