pic of the commercial fleet in alberni inlet

Jencourt

Anyone remember what thread that pic of all the nets was in.Or a direct link to it? I was telling a friend about it and he does not believe me of how many boats at one time.

Cheers Ray

No place I would rather be (FISH ON)

You mean these pictures?

SockeyeSeineFishery1991AlberniInlet.jpg

More picture are in this thread
http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15410&whichpage=8

GLG

That photo was from many years ago. They didn't expect any fish to get through that day; the escapement came from the many weeks before it opened, and the 6 days in between subsequent openings if there were any. Most guys only got enough ratty 4 lb socks to deliver and get another "week's" work for EI purposes. Purely a political opening as there was no money to be made until the boats spread out chasing other stocks in Area 20 or Johstone Straits or farther north.

Thanks for posting this GLG.

Exactly the post I was looking for.

No place I would rather be (FISH ON)

i guess there is a reason sockeye need to jump so much...

-mitch

That pretty much looks like the Fraser gillnetters when they get an opening. Pretty much everything gets Vaccummed up.

That looks like the Friday that a buddy and I were fishing north of the south arm. At around 10am they opened up area B (Banana) and the seiners moved in. We go pushed out as there must of been 20+ boats moved in. If they didn't get over 10,000 in a set they would let it go and reset. As far as I'm concerned a set is a set. Better yet get rid of all the seiners and have trollers working.
R

Back