Navigating commercial nets in Alberni Inlet

Matthias

My apologies if this has been covered before.
I'm planning a trip to Bamfield at the end of August (25-28), and am curious what the protocol is around navigated commercial nets in the inlet on the way up. We're spending the night of the 24th in Port, and will be pushing off first light on the 25th
I'm not sure if openings happen during this time, but still interested to know what the deal is in case there was.
Is there ever a situation where nets are spread across the entire inlet with not room to circumnavigate?

Thanks in advanced!

My apologies if this has been covered before.
I'm planning a trip to Bamfield at the end of August (25-28), and am curious what the protocol is around navigated commercial nets in the inlet on the way up. We're spending the night of the 24th in Port, and will be pushing off first light on the 25th
I'm not sure if openings happen during this time, but still interested to know what the deal is in case there was.
Is there ever a situation where nets are spread across the entire inlet with not room to circumnavigate?

Thanks in you'll
If you are heading towards their nets the skiff will usually start waiving orange flags in the air to get your attention. No way they'll have the entire canal crossed, not even close. You'll find a path away from the commies, lots of room.

If you are heading towards their nets the skiff will usually start waiving orange flags in the air to get your attention. No way they'll have the entire canal crossed, not even close. You'll find a path away from the commies, lots of room.
Not always. Keep your head on a swivel when netting is in progress.

Sometimes it is stop and go traffic. They will pull up once you are there. I've been through a few times where you have to wait until it is cleared to pass and then you get to the next net and wait again.

Ok thanks guys.

Sometimes it is stop and go traffic. They will pull up once you are there. I've been through a few times where you have to wait until it is cleared to pass and then you get to the next net and wait again.
are they “supposed” to pull their gear up if they see a boat waiting to pass?

As a person who gillnetted there for years ….. most sports fishermen are scary around nets.

My advice is to travel slower and where possible run close to the beach as gillnetters don’t tie to it. Usually the boat is on one end and a large orange scotchman is on the other. If they shine a light at you or sound an air horn ….stop.

If you run over a net you are responsible for the damages you do and possibly even liable for lost fishing income. This is part of the Canadian Collision Regulations.

Like deadheads and logs, take your time and pay attention and you should be fine.

As a person who gillnetted there for years ….. most sports fishermen are scary around nets.

My advice is to travel slower and where possible run close to the beach as gillnetters don’t tie to it. Usually the boat is on one end and a large orange scotchman is on the other. If they shine a light at you or sound an air horn ….stop.

If you run over a net you are responsible for the damages you do and possibly even liable for lost fishing income. This is part of the Canadian Collision Regulations.

Like deadheads and logs, take your time and pay attention and you should be fine.
That's super helpful - thank you!!
I've never seen the alberni fishery in full force - i guess i was expecting this:

how's a fish suppose to get through that look's a bit like the Fraser ..... lol

how's a fish suppose to get through that look's a bit like the Fraser ..... lol
Hatchery surplus-- they are not supposed to get through. Aw-- the stories I could tell of the sox gillnet fishery in Rivers Inlet in the late 60s and early 70s!! Makes these guys look like pussys !!!!

Back