pender island

tubber

I have to go to a wedding on Pender Island on July 7th. I'm taking my boat because I'll be heading to Telegraph Cove the next day. Is it worth trying to fish around Pender at that time of year? Never fished around there. I'll be staying at the Poet's Cove Marina/Resort so there is a place to moor if I launch somewhere. Thanks for any advice.

Pender is beatiful. The canal is a must do. Great cruising grounds with not so great fishing. There are a couple of launches on the island. One at port browning and the other at a subdivision marina. Poets Cove is a beatiful location with a somewhat stick up the _ss atmosphere. The area can be crowded at that time of year but worth checking out. Otters are all over the island so if you are going to moore your boat be carefull not to leave anything to attract them. Look cute but make one horrible mess.

Thanks, I can tell by the price of the hotel rooms at Poet's Cover that it will be too trendy for me. Maybe I should camp and save my money for fishing in Telegraph/Malcolm.

There is a govenment campsite on the island right by port browning. It is fairly decent and reasonable. There is also camping right at port browning marina. The camping at browning is dirt cheap and right on the beach. Hotels on pender are near nil and b&b s can get expensive.

quote:Originally posted by westcoast advneture

There is a govenment campsite on the island right by port browning. It is fairly decent and reasonable. There is also camping right at port browning marina. The camping at browning is dirt cheap and right on the beach. Hotels on pender are near nil and b&b s can get expensive.
And if your camped at Browning you have the pub right there. great food.and a pool too.

Hey Tubber!
If you are going to Pender I would seriously consider a go at the Bluffs.My buddy and I have had good success there.Around that time the first of the pinks should be arriving,and there are also opportunities for some decent Fraser chinook-IF they are around.Personally, I would ready myself to go,and keep an eye on the local reports.I can post my success out there if you decide to go for it.I would;)

Thanks HB and others. As I said we are bringing the boat anyway so I may as well troll around a bit. We decided to camp at Port Browning, Poet's Cove was 2 night minimum at $280.00 per night. Can I stagger home to my tent at Browning from the wedding at Poet's Cove, or should I make my wife be the designated driver?

Bump. I'm heading there on the 29th for a wedding. Anyone on here been fishing around Pender?

Someone better be designated, it's a long and winding road from Poett's Cove to Port Browning. When I lived there, off road adventures in the ditch were pretty common until the RCMP said they wanted to see a body in the ditch the next time they got the "I swerved to miss a deer" story...

As far as fishing goes, I haven't heard anything recently, but there may be pinks around by then. This is</u> supposed to be a hot pink year, so try fishing the south-west shoreline of North Pender, from Wallace Point to Oak Bluffs. A word of warning: this can be an uncomfortable place to fish in the summer. All the big U.S. boats heading north for the summer pass through customs at Poett's Cove and are just getting up to speed when they come out of Bedwell Harbour. It can be very challenging just staying on your feet at times. Mornings are the worst, if I remember correctly.

Thanks; we'll give a try. Now I have to pick a place for the following 5 days. Sounds very good in lots of places on Van. Isle.

Back