Pender harbor area Ling cod

I'm spending a few days up around Pender harbor/sechelt inlet and would appreciate any local knowledge on where to get some big Ling cod. I've read up on the regs and am familiar with the closures/RCA. Any decent rockfish?

If you have a chart, you can find them! No secret spots just have to know or learn how to fish for them.

I doubt anyone will give you a particular spot but if they do then that's really nice of them. A lot of pressure on them there!

If you have a chart, you can find them! No secret spots just have to know or learn how to fish for them.

I doubt anyone will give you a particular spot but if they do then that's really nice of them. A lot of pressure on them there!

Well there are some secret spots.

I have a cabin on the south end of Francis Peninsula and have fished there for 40 years. I used to dive off the light there and there were some nice ling, but the place has been hammered hard. I'm pretty worried about the stocks around there since they closed the DFO office in Pender Harbor. I saw a big decline in the stocks when the office was closed in the 90's. When it was re-opened the FO's did a pretty good job of addressing the undersized and over possession problems and the ling and rock fish rebounded.

There's a couple pinnacles there that I catch ling cod but in the last 2 years I'm yet to find a legal size one. I'd pass on that area and try for spots that are not in close proximity to Pender Harbor.

both species easily overfished, the fun of fishing is finding out where, andhow, learning yourself only sure thing is fish market get out and experiment

Thanks for all of the info and PMs. I've moved out past Anderson bay to avoid impact Pender harbour. Definitely a beautiful fishery.
I'll be careful not to keep any big ones

Back