PEETZ REELS

wavetamer

Want to find an older Peetz reel to restore and have new drag system installed.. My question, is 5 inch the way to go or is there some thing smaller

If you live in Victoria, go to the garage sales in the summer and they are usually very cheap. People just want to get rid of their old junk. Yes they made smaller ones but once the regs. went to barb-less hooks, most preferred the larger diameter reels so they could keep up to a salmon charging the boat to keep it from getting slack and throwing the hook.

Want to find an older Peetz reel to restore and have new drag system installed.. My question, is 5 inch the way to go or is there some thing smaller
Where or how do you get a new drag system - I have a very old Peetz I wouldn't mind restoring esp. if I could upgrade the drag...

so they do make a 4inch, im going keep my eyes open ., just haven't seen any for sale
Before you buy give the reel a good spin while watching the sides if there is any wobble give it a pass, or restore it and put it on the mantle. They are beautiful.

5" is the way to go. 4" is just too small for the fish, for your hands, etc.

IIRC, I paid about $200 to have my reel cleaned up, the new drag installed and the reel poooled with 50lb braid.

If your old reel has wood handles and you want to keep them, make sure you make note of that on the work order. I’ve heard of some reels with wood handles being sent in for refinishing and they come back with new resin handles. The old wood handles are part of the great look in my opinion

If your old reel has wood handles and you want to keep them, make sure you make note of that on the work order. I’ve heard of some reels with wood handles being sent in for refinishing and they come back with new resin handles. The old wood handles are part of the great look in my opinion
It has nice cherrywood handles. Would not like to lose them to plastic!! Do you know what that "drag upgrade" consists of?? The wingnut drag on my 1970 reel is OK, but primitive!! Thanks for the note, Corey.

Perhaps tonight I am feeling a bit curmudgeonly, so don't be offended, but I strongly believe that a lot of the appeal of a wooden Peetz is the wingnut without one way drag.
IMO the change to one way drag is not an upgrade, it is a travesty. Learn to palm!!!
Sure hope no one gets upset at this ;-)

Scroll to the bottom of the peetz page and says reel drag upgrade w/out overhaul $109? $175 for drag upgrade and full reel overhaul
615EE81A-E035-4DD5-976E-8F4ADD93407B.png

Does anyone know exactly what you get in that drag "upgrade" for $174----carbon drag? Leather?
I had one done a couple of years ago. It's a one way drag system. I don't know how it works, I seem to remember it has ceramic bearings. You set the tension and forget it, no creep on mine. Takes about a quarter turn from dropping your line to set the tension. Nice smooth action when a fish is taking line. I don't regret having mine done, but I need to pull all the line and re polish the brass side of the spool

Back