P.C.O. cards

scott craven

Everyone got their PCO cards ??
I understand you need them by September 15.
I guess i better start reading the manual ;)

Yes, many years of procrastinating ended 3 weeks ago. I went through Boaterexam.com for the test and downloaded the study guide from freecourse.ca on the printer at work.(approx 150 pages). Study the bold print, the practise questions and read the beacon stuff twice and you too could get 100%. You get a temporary card and then the permanent card came in about 10 days.

Mostly the questions are common sense I found when I wrote it, I did it a couple of years ago. Questions like:

If you go boating and you have 4 people in your boat, how many life jackets should you have on board.

A. 1
B. 2
C. 4
D. None.

I didn't even study and got one wrong. It's no biggie for most here I would say. There are some tricky questions about certain marker buoys or other weird rules but even if you get those wrong you will sill pass. I believe you need 75% to pass.

Still undecided about getting one. The thing has all the well-intentioned earmarks of the long gun registry debacle.
Have to find out what the fine will be.
60-70.00 for the exam and license, or?

The regs say you need proof of competency for sept 15 and if you have taken a power squadran course prior to 1999 and have the certificate still your good to go. Thats how i read it anyways.

What is "proof of operator competency"?

Proof of operator competency can take one of three forms:

A Pleasure Craft Operator Card;
Proof of having successfully completed a boating safety course in Canada prior to April 1, 1999; or,
A completed rental-boat safety checklist.

quote:The regs say you need proof of competency for sept 15 and if you have taken a power squadran course prior to 1999 and have the certificate still your good to go....

So I learned just the other day, so all I have to do is carry my PS card. ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
freshwaterlagoonnuquicw3.jpg

I wonder how this plays out for FN's? We have the right to use modern equipment to gather our FSC fish as clearly defined by the Supreme Court of Canada. I also have a treaty right that is still 100% legit to hunt and fish as before settlement. (There's no mention of having to obtain a PCO card to practise these rights in the treaty). If they where to hassle me about it in any way it would have to be considered an infingement upon my rights. So, if I'm going food fishing... Do I need it?

Take only what you need.
3641877346_d9919f98d0.jpg

It's got nothing to do with your "right" to hunt and fish,
it's about operating a pleasure craft.
you will need one also.

Look at it the same way as a drivers license. Race or treaties don't factor into this one. Everyone has to have it.

FA, you're digging for a responce, humourously I hope, so I'll respond in the same vein.
No, you don't need it for paddling your canoe, only if you put an outboard on it.

quote:Originally posted by Time

FA, you're digging for a responce, humourously I hope, so I'll respond in the same vein.
No, you don't need it for paddling your canoe, only if you put an outboard on it.

LMAO I like your style of humor. I doubt I would need it to food fish, but I would If I went for a boat ride. The pleasure craft part is the key, I don't go for pleasure I go for FSC.

Seems like a silly test anyways...
quote:Mostly the questions are common sense I found when I wrote it, I did it a couple of years ago. Questions like:

If you go boating and you have 4 people in your boat, how many life jackets should you have on board.

A. 1
B. 2
C. 4
D. None.

c isnt really the right answer either. you need at least 4 on board, you could have more. I always keep about 8-10 on board. You never know when a fellow fisherman may need one thrown to him!

I looked at the laws around it and I see they left me some wiggle room.

Operator Competency Requirements:
The Competency of Operators of Pleasure Craft Regulations require operators of pleasure craft fitted with a motor and used for recreational purposes to have proof of competency on board at all times.

Take only what you need.
3641877346_d9919f98d0.jpg

Just got mine today at the Canadian Tire in Coquitlam.The Guy is going to be there tommorow till 5pm, 50$ if you pass the exam. I got 100% without even looking at a book( all common sense questions)

Mike

Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it.

Got you beat Labman, I got mine for free:D
Anyone know that even a Master Mariner a Licence Captain to operate vessels world wide needs to have a PCO Card to take his or her family out on the weekend in their tin boat. Thats messed up if you ask me.

Back