p.a. derby

here is a couple pics from our weekend. Fishing and weather was awesome. We landed 25-30 springs and coho in the 2 1/2 days of fishing and lost countless others.
salmonfestoscardecals003_zps0bbfb736.jpg

salmonfest059_zpsa07dc191.jpg

salmonfest031_zps41597806.jpg

My wife with the flasher she used all weekend, hate to say it but it kicked butt lol
salmonfest079_zps47f6f946.jpg

Right on! Great photos. Thanks for sharing Gary. Sounds like it was a fun time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I noticed that too but he was staying in Bamfield , doesnt the non retention of springs only start in the inlet? is the wall still open for springs?

Yup, we kept 3 springs all under the 77cm regs. We allso caught a 13 1/2 lb coho that had us excited untill we were told it was a hybred

Ummmm.... a hybrid chinook/coho I assume? Who told you this and what criteria did they use? Curious...

Last edited by a moderator:
yes the sound is open for springs under 77cm,,, around 15lb. we caught two tyees and countless 15-20 that had to be released...sanford and satellite passage.biggest coho was 14lb wild. dfo boat was sure busy behind flemming on monday. alot of springs around for sure. hopefully they make it up the river.

Just curious what is a hybrid? , i knew you were not fishing ileagal bud, pretty sure you have a good grasp on the regs as you fish the westcoast alot,glad to seee there is still guys fishing the westcoast without turning into a TUNA ADDICT..:p

Albernifisher, that's a great report
Thanx for takin the time to share, the photo's sure help when I am sittin in the office and dreamin about being in Bammer

Coho/Chinook hybrids have been discussed before....if not here then other sites.

I caught one off F.C. a couple years back and posted a thread about it on FishTactics.

IronNoggin responded, stating that they do exist off west coast.....they crossbreed in the same way that Rainbows and Cutts do....and then you get a "CuttBow" trout.

Don't know what the nickname for a Chinook/Coho cross is yet.......

Great Work, Report & Pix Gary! Looks like some FUN was had by all!

Coho/Chinook hybrids have been discussed before.... IronNoggin responded, stating that they do exist off west coast.....

While they do occur here, the incidence is very rare. One cannot rely on morphometrics (physical appearance) to determine the species in such cases, as they will carry attributes of both. Instead, lab analysis can provide the answer, DNA analysis is of course the best.

Don't know what the nickname for a Chinook/Coho cross is yet.......

Too new, don't think they have come up with one yet...

Cheers,
Nog

thanks for clarifying, never herd of the hybrid before, Chinho it is..thanks for the reply i would have been scratchin my head at that one for awhile..

Back